Clean up from the River by kayak & canoe + clean the banks by walking the riverside trail.
RSVP as Boater or Walker
Pre - Planning:
We have a limited number of boats available for loan. One wide and stable sit-on-top kayaks still left + several canoes. These make great trash haulers, even if you have your own small kayak consider taking one of these for the space. First come - inquire ASAP for boats.
What to bring:
- Gloves for hand grabbing,
- A picking tool is handy but not required, you can pick up a grabbing tool at the hardware store, or fishing net for light debris. A stick or paddle works fine most of the time to get trash within reach.
- We have maybe 6 grabbing tools at the park that we can loan.
- Clothes and shoes you don't mind getting dirty and or wet.
- Maybe a towel and change of clothes for after, showers are available.
- Eat before and or bring a snack.
Saturday Aug. 24:
The park address is 425 Bobwhite Way, Newnan, GA. GPS should get you there and roads from Newnan are well marked with signage if you look. Note that from the park road entrance to the boat ramp is at least 5 miles. Stay straight on Bobwhite Way it will dead end at the ramp. There is a manned gate a few miles in near the Visitors Center, tell them you are there to volunteer for the clean-up and you will get a free parking day-pass. If want to stop at the Visitors Center on the left and get a park map.
Meet-up at the Bend Park boat ramp at 8:30ish for check in and boat shuttle loading. Orientations at 9:00 then take off for boat put-in & trails. It will take a good hour to shuttle & get boats in the river. Greg & Jan will lead boaters, Steve walkers.
- We will supply a bottle of water. BYO river snacks if you wish.
We will try to be off the River by 1ish. Local BSA will help put trash away and help us rinse boats.
- The Friends of the Bend.org will furnish a limited lunch menu of Turkey wraps, chips & drinks. If prefer something other please bring it. There are no food concessions at the Park.
You will likely get dirty, showers are available at the park, bring a change of clothes, towel & soap if you’d like to clean up at the park. You might want to stay the afternoon and hike the trails.
Your volunteer hours also get grant money for the park. Thanks in advance for helping keep the Hooch and the Chattahoochee Bend Park clean!