The Atlanta Graphic Design Collective on Meetup Message Board › A Long- Overdue Reboot

A Long- Overdue Reboot

Sherra B.
sherrabell
Group Organizer
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 22
I'm still trying to settle on on the best regular day, but I've been talking to some people who can help with programs for 2012 and have put together a series related to growing your business/career. When the group is small, we'll treat it like a roundtable and if a particular topic hits a nerve and we get a large turnout, we'll do a lecture then break into discussion groups to keep the intimacy. The programs will go something like this:

• January - Success is Relative: Updating your goals and positioning in the current market context
  • February - Math for Designers: Pricing to make a profit
  • March - The Other Side of Your Brain: Taxes and record keeping
  • April - Green as Money: Sustainability as a business value
  • May - Level the Playing Field: Sales and negotiation tips your clients know
  • June - First Impressions: Identity and Portfolio Websites
  • July - Picnic/Field Trip
  • August - Find More Time: Tips and Tricks to Enhance Productivity
  • September - Next New Thing: An Update on Social Media and the Mobile Web
  • October - Getting Client Feedback and References
  • November - Year-end review and success stories (member presentations)
  • December - Holiday Party
  • Repeat in 2013 with some variation

All topics are up for discussion. If you have ideas, please submit them here. Additional programs can also be planned for more craft and technical interests (or anything else). All we need is an organizer to volunteer.

I'm thinking Second Tuesdays again. Any thoughts or preferences?

Sherra
A former member
Post #: 1
Thanks, Sherra, looks good to me, Diana
Su B.
berlanddesign
Marietta, GA
Post #: 11
Sherra - Where do you expect to hold the meetup? Maybe also have something specific to graphic designers, i.e. software update info, enhancing one's skill set and offerings, market expectations, challenges specific to our industry....?
jan s.
user 13360103
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 1
Any chance of going to the 3rd or 4th Tuesday? I already have 2 meetings on 2nd Tuesday afternoons/evenings.
Thanks,

jan
Tom T.
user 12480082
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 3
Hi, Sherra. Maybe a roundtable about partnering vs. subcontracting, and financial arrangements among the various professionals involved in a client project. Also, the Adobe User Group of Atlanta meets on second Tuesdays.
Thanks for all your work and preparations.
Tom
Claudia A.
CAgraphicdesign
Roswell, GA
Post #: 7
Looks like a plan! One or two of these overlap with Freelance Forum presentations (taxes, sustainability). I agree with Su, maybe a graphic design-specific topic should be thrown into the mix.

And thanks, Sherra, for heading up t his group...it looks like you have a lot on your plate!
Sherra B.
sherrabell
Group Organizer
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 23
Planning to host at Cadence Group (1095 Zonolite #105 / 30306) until we outgrow the space. I'll check the schedule but 3rd or 4th Tues should work. Anyone know of other conflicts with either of those dates? Anyone want to take on the other program ideas?