The Atlanta Hungarian Meetup Group Message Board › Budapest, Georgia Update
In the mid-1890's a group of Hungarians left Pennsylvania to start a grape-growing, wine-making venture in Haralson County. They named their village Budapest in honor of their country's Capital. Other groups came (mainly Slovakians) and started a village they named Nitra. Both villages thrived until Georgia passed it's Prohibition Act in 1907. Many residents returned north but a few remained. Unfortunately, very little remains of the villages today. The Budapest Cemetery is located about 1 mile south of the original Budapest Village. A group of volunteers convenes once a year to maintain and clean-up the Cemetery. Efforts are underway to replace the missing Historic Marker that describes the Cemetery. Haralson County Historical Society recently received a grant for $2000 to aid in this effort. There is much more work that needs to be done. Fundraisers are in the works but we need volunteers/ideas!
Like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook....!