LA
user 11261517
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 2
This group came together for people that listen to Alt / Rock Music. I hope it stays that way. There is way too much hip hop in Atlanta and not enough music for our group. I am worried the new organizer does not understand this. Any thoughts??
A former member
Post #: 2
Yes, as I posted before yesterday. I am open minded and would not mind a large event like Music Midtown for example that has had (does?) have great diversity and I would appreciate some exposure to music that I don't typically think I like very much. A whole festival of that one type of music that I don't think I like very much would not interest me at all, however. I know it would be small of me to suggest that anyone of our members that WOULD actually go to a Lefteye festival should probably leave our group, but isn't that the purpose of SO MANY diverse "meet up" groups; to try to find that one that is a magnet to people who are most completely sharing your common interests, and for me lyrical content and melodic values, musicianship, the DNA of indy sensibilities if you will, are the part of this particular ready-made meetup and events that would attract that kind of person are the content that I would value and make me want to be a part of this group - and it's a pretty big group! I am surprised that fewer people seem to be aware of the change in the group... However - I deduce that there was a lapse in some kind of leadership (I am not them!) and somehow Chess has rightfully and honestly taken the helm. This may be the only event like this he sponsors, since it seems he is very connected to it. And then, maybe he will end sponsorship (you can buy it by the month) and let the group return to leadership by "indie/alt music heart on our sleeve" folks. But yes, it seems a smart promoter saw a great opportunity to reach a lot of music lovers quickly, and honestly took advantage of that opportunity. He has to his credit asked for help to plan events... so maybe this will be an anomaly or maybe we should try some urban pop and open our minds too. i dont know. but it is what it is, at this point. Let's give it some time, as another member chastised me. And they are possibly right, right? But a Lefteye Lopez event is not alt/rock, and we all know that. So we shall see!
LA
user 11261517
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 3
I appreciate your honesty and optimism on the situation, but I still feel very passionate (heart on my sleeve) that we should remain alternative rock. I feel we are the music minority in Atlanta. What does it take to be a group organizer? Maybe I will give it a go.
A former member
Post #: 3
Ha ha. It takes money, first of all. Not much but enough to deter everyone from starting 10 groups, you know? And you are in Hiram, GA? I think it also takes a good base of friends or a little core group, to immediately sign up so it looks legit. Then, to the point of you being out of town a ways, I bet you have to have ongoing consistent events? Where is Hiram? Maybe there are more things to be done to start and run a group but I don't know - and you can allow other organizers and split the cost of the hosting monthly fee to meetup. I really do assume Chess hopes to possibly pick up some occasional eyes and ears for various other events on here but will delegate the indie events to those familiar, or the group will dissolve fairly quickly and seek another source for events they'd like. Essentially all he's likely to do is pay to host it for as long as it makes sense to allow him to let us know about things like the lefteye festival, which some people may be interested in but clearly not that many current members are, from the sign-up. If this group and a few more were not already here, and if I was more connected to the current clubs and schedules, I would feel exactly like you; I think it would be cool as hell to have a meetup for indie/alt-rock. But it will take work and commitment and I am already vastly overcommitted! :) Think about it, but it could be discouraging if people don't follow you or find you, because people are often complacent, you know? Or, it could be really fun and with work and marketing and scheduling great creative unique meetups you will add to the landscape of this group and the other few groups out there trying to get our indie heads together, and we'll have more chances to all hang out with like minded people and experience some fun shows.