addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Atlanta Ruby Meetup Group Message Board › RABL vs. Restfulie

RABL vs. Restfulie

A former member
Post #: 1
I'm about 90 days into the Ruby world (coming from Java and PHP), and I am interested in building my new app's API first using Rails 3 before creating the client portions. It seems like RABL and Restfulie have some decent activity behind them, but I was unsure if there were other gems that are more highly recommended. Anybody have any suggestions?

Great presentations last night, BTW!

-David
Bill S.
user 3723114
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 9
I have used Restfulie extensively. It is certainly very capable but I found certain parts of it a bit frustrating. On pur current applications, we mainly use Restfulie for accessing external Restful web services -- letting Restfulie marshall and unmarshall the requests and responses. This works well as long as those external services are well-behaved (e.g. they set the proper HTTP Content-Type) header.

But for generation of resources (e.g. generating XML or JSON based on the Accept header), I have never been completely happy with Tokamak (that's the subproject of Restfulie responsible for XML/JSON generation).

I am just starting to look into RABL. Travis CI uses RABL for JSON generation; it looks pretty good. Also you might want to look into Jsonify (http://jsonify.org);...­ its a gem that I wrote that is specifically for JSON generation using a Builder-style.