addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Atlanta Ruby Meetup Group Message Board › More info on Apprentice at DueProps

More info on Apprentice at DueProps

Obie F.
Marietta, GA
Post #: 6
At tonight's monthly meetup I stood up and announced that I'd like to take on an apprentice. This post is an attempt to describe who I'm looking for and why, cribbed from an email I sent to a candidate a little while ago...

So here's a little about my ideal candidate. They would be someone sociable and hard working, who loves coding and wants to learn Ruby on Rails best practices by working with me here at my location in Marietta on a full-time or near full-time basis during regular office hours. They'd need to have at least basic web development skills because I won't have time or willpower to teach them everything from scratch. We'd be pair programming quite a bit, maybe up to a few hours a day. DueProps has a clean codebase, we do lightweight Agile process, TDD often and have fairly good test coverage (rspec and cukes). Most of the time my apprentice would need to work independently on stuff, relying on me to point them in the right direction or help solve a sticky problem.As the solo founder of the business I am usually juggling 10 or more priorities, so I can't spend the whole day coding. If the apprentice wanted to dedicate all their time to coding that would be fine, but there are also many other aspects of the business that could use a helping hand, from figuring out and spec'ing game dynamics to analyzing usage metrics, to monitoring adwords campaigns and helping with PR and marketing efforts.

Even though I raised a couple hundred thousand in funding last year I've burned through most of it and and now somewhat cash-strapped, which is a long way of explaining that I can't pay much. I'm thinking $10/hour as a token amount. Apprenticeship is really for someone wanting to get more learning and experience out of the deal than money. The calendar commitment I'm looking for is 1-3 months; I know that most people can't live on $10/hour for any extended period of time. Assuming you have the dedication and work ethic, I can almost guarantee that after spending a few months working with me full-time you'd be able to land a six-figure job as a normal Rails developer anywhere. (Plus my network in the Rails world is huge.) That said, I really believe in the promise of DueProps and a great candidate could prove themselves worthy of becoming a part of the business with equity and normal full-time employment down the line, if that's what they wanted. (We'd need to get some better traction and raise our Series A for that to happen, and that's what I'm aiming to do by summertime.)

I have a handful of reasons that I'm doing this, but mostly because I believe in the Apprenticeship-Journeyman-Master philosophy and this is my way of giving back to the community. I could also use the companionship since everyone on my team currently works remotely. If the opportunity sounds interesting and within the realm of possibility for you then let's talk.

BTW if the right candidates surface I might be able to take on two apprentices, but I don't expect that to happen.

Timeframe to start is anytime in the next month or so. If I don't find solid leads on an apprentice in Atlanta I'll probably post something like this text to my blog and begin searching nationally by next week. Willing to pay the right candidate with room and board.

obie at