addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Atlanta Asterisk Users Group Message Board › iax2 termination / origination

iax2 termination / origination

Jeff O.
user 43531212
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 1

It looks like Junction Networks is jacking their monthly rates beyond the
pain point for a poor home pbx operator.

They've been good, and quite inexpensive, for years, but it seems I must
part ways with them now.

Can anybody recommend a reasonably affordable source for iax
termination/origination?

Or perhaps offer me a reason why I should consider SIP? (Every time I open
port 5060 up my * gets attacked.)

Thanks,

Jeff
A former member
Post #: 2

Practically speaking, you really should just switch to SIP, and appropriately secure your PBX via firewall.

IAX2 is what one one might call a technological "ghetto"; it is a standard that is completely irrelevant to the VoIP industry at large, and only exists in the Asterisk universe. Industrial-grade telco equipment used by termination/origination providers does not support IAX2, so that means you're limited to buying only from other Asterisk-based vendors or vendors that bother to set up a SIP-to-IAX Asterisk gateway. This greatly limits both the number and sophistication of your available vendors.

Your IAX2 port would be experiencing hacking attempts, too, if not for the fact that IAX2 isn't big enough to bother with. If it ever were, it would suffer the same fate as SIP.

The appropriate solution to this type of problem is proper security measures, not retreating into parochial technologies. :-)

-- Alex
Aryn N.
user 95451622
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 3

It looks like Junction Networks is jacking their monthly rates beyond the
pain point for a poor home pbx operator.

They've been good, and quite inexpensive, for years, but it seems I must
part ways with them now.

Can anybody recommend a reasonably affordable source for iax
termination/origination?

Thanks,

Jeff

SIP is the best way to go and IP Table your server so it only talks to your providers.

Have you considered hosting your PBX @ a cloud provider? You can get some decent $20 host for your PBX...