The Atlanta Asterisk Users Group Message Board › Odd Phone Unregistering Issue

Odd Phone Unregistering Issue

user 62990612
Duluth, GA
Post #: 1
(I first sent this message to but that seems to have disappeared! I hope this is the new correct place. It seems I didn't "get the memo")

Why does the internal phone system stop working and phones unregister when the outside "Internet" connection goes away?

Yesterday Megapath broadband was down across all of GA and some surrounding areas for about 6 hours. We use this for our Internet connection so, of course, we lost connection to our SIP provider. The odd thing though, is that our phones unregistered from the PBX during the outside network outage. I could log into the FreePBX console and browser apps, but the phones did not work. We could not connect from an office up stairs to our data center for example.

SETUP: 15 phones are extensions on FreePBX which has 3 SIP trunks it uses as in/out bound lines. We use a custom recorded IVR, mailboxes, extensions, etc. FreePBX version is SIP phones have the internal server IP address ( as their SIP server. Any ideas?

A former member
Post #: 1
SIP phones have the internal server IP address ( as their SIP server. Any ideas?

1) Is there any possibility that outside / over-WAN DNS resolvers are needed to reach this SIP server from inside the network? Or do you literally use that IP address as the registrar?

2) Are you externally multihomed? Do you inject BGP routes into an interior routing protocol such as EIGRP or OSPF, or accept outside routes from Megapath via an EGP or IGP? If so, any chance that when your external link(s) went belly-up, it threw internal routing into disarray?

Other than that things like this, I can't think of much else. But the basic theme to focus on is any resources required for full network and transport-layer reachability between the phones and the PBX that are only reachable via your Internet connection.
Aryn N.
user 95451622
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 5
What's your switching / routing / DNS look like?

How did you provision the handsets?