We are going to South Auckland, between Bombay and Pokeno for a day hike on Mt William Walkway. This walkway includes two summits, Mt William (373m) and Puketutu (379m), with great views of the surrounding countryside, and Mt William Scenic Reserve with a variety of native forest including a kauri grove.
Duration: Up to 5 hours (including stops).
Distance: 5-11km (depending on options).
Difficulty: 3 on our 1-5 scale for day hikes. About average difficulty on tramping track through forest and on farmland. Main difficulty is moderately steep hill climbing up to Mt William summit (elevation gain about 310m). From there, walkway is undulating to Puketutu trig. Sidetrack to kauri grove requires additional steepish hill climb (elevation gain about 140m).
Weather Update (Sat 10pm): Metservice forecast for Sunday: "Becoming fine in the morning. Dying southwesterlies. (sun+cloud symbol)". This hike will go ahead.
- Victoria Park New World is our initial meeting place. (If you haven't met us there before, you can read more details here.)
- Then we will drive to McMillan Road carpark (off Irish Road, off SH2).
- See Google Map directions from New World to McMillan Road.
- Carpooling will be arranged for everyone meeting at New World after we arrive there (transport permitting - you can read more details about carpooling here).
- Best if most people meet at New World first. The option to drive straight to McMillan Road is only intended if New World is genuinely out of the way (eg, if driving from south or east).
- Each carpool passenger from New World is expected to give $10 to driver.
- 09:15 - Good time to arrive at New World, meet & greet
- 09:30 - Latest time to arrive at New World, arrange carpooling
- 09:35 - Leave New World
- 10:10 - Arrive at McMilan if driving straight there
- 10:20 - All at McMillan Road carpark, introductions
- 10:30 - Start hike
- 15:30 - Approx end hike
- 17:00 - Approx return to Auckland
- Online NZ Topo map of hike area
- Simple DOC map of Mt William Walkway (PDF, 60K)
- Google Map of directions from New World to McMillan Road (can zoom in for closer satellite view)
- Starting from McMillan Road carpark, follow walkway northward across farmland towards scenic reserve.
- Turn right at scenic reserve junction to go up Mt William summit via reserve and farmland.
- At Mt William summit, can continue northward on walkway to Puketutu trig.
- Go back same way.
- Back at scenic reserve junction, we can turn right on Kauri Ridge Track to go up to kauri grove and back if time and energy permit.
- Return same way back to carpark.
- It has been suggested that a rough unofficial track continues on from the kauri grove, linking further up the main walkway. We may try this, starting with Kauri Ridge Track, and loop back via the walkway.
- lunch and drink
- clothing suitable for spring
- footwear suitable for tramping tracks.
- sun and rain protection
- plastic bags for muddy boots
- first-aid items
- money ($10 if carpool passenger)
- DOC webpage for Mt William Walkway
(1) Our group has never hiked Mt William Walkway before. This will be the first time we do this.
(2) 9:30am is the latest time to meet at New World and 10:30am is the latest time to arrive at McMillan Road if driving straight there. We'll aim to leave New World and start hike exactly on time, and we are unlikely to wait for late people. Arriving early is good :-)
(3) We aim to hike as a group with stops for group to catch up at all track junctions, but there's no guarantee this will happen so prepare for this hike as best you can (study map, description, etc).
(4) For most of the way we'll walk at a moderate pace that is comfortable for most people in the group, with stops at places of interest along the way.
(5) On the way up to Mt William summit, people can optionally climb at a faster pace. However, going faster will require waiting longer at summit for group.
(6) Planning is mainly focused on completing the whole hike route, however, the extension from Mt William summit to Puketutu trig and sidetrack to kauri grove can be optional if don't mind waiting for rest of group to return.
- If you are interested to attend it will help if you: read all these details carefully; RSVP online soon, and update your RSVP later if you decide not to attend or anything you specified is no longer accurate.
- There are several RSVP questions about certainty of attending, transport, meeting places, options, and return time. Answering these will help with planning, thanks :-)
Are you interested to attend? :-)