We are going Te Atatu Peninsula, west of the city, to walk around and explore the peninsula. Highlights include views of Waitemata Harbour, city, and Henderson Creek looking across to Royal Heights, harbour coastline exploring, and a number of coastal parks and reserves.
Duration: about 5 hours walk including stops.
Difficulty: 2 on our 1-5 scale of difficulty for day hikes. Easier than average in most respects. Fairly flat most of the way, on walking paths, grassy fields, streets, and coastline. Some Henderson Creek coastline sections may be muddy or include other difficulties, but we can avoid any significant difficulty by choosing street options. Main difficulty is distance (a bit longer than average).
Weather Update (Sat 11:50am): Metservice forecast for Sunday: "Fine spells, chance early shower. Fresh southwesterly. (sun+cloud symbol)". Metservice and Metvuw 3 day rain forecasts both suggest showers are possible but main rain is likely to have cleared before we start walk.
- Victoria Park New World is our initial meeting place. (If you haven't met us there before, you can read more details here.)
- Then we drive to carpark on "unknown road" off Te Atatu Road on right at Gloria Ave roundabout.
- See Google Map directions from New World to carpark.
Transport and Carpooling:
- Carpooling will be arranged for everyone meeting at New World after we get there (transport permitting, you can read more details here).
- If you can offer a ride or you'd like a ride from another location, you can mention this in your public RSVP comment (below Yes/No options) then contact each other to arrange.
- Best if most people meet at New World first. The option to go straight to Te Atatu Peninsula is only intended if New World is significantly out of your way (eg, if driving from west or north via Upper Harbour).
- For this shorter trip, carpool passengers from New World are expected to give $5 to driver.
- Te Atatu Peninsula has some bus services but these are quite limited on Sunday and timing is not great to get there from city. See bus timetable (PDF).
- 10:00 - Good time to arrive at New World, meet & greet
- 10:15 - Latest time to arrive at New World, arrange carpooling
- 10:20 - Leave New World
- 10:30 - Arrive at Te Atatu Peninsula carpark if driving straight there.
- 10:40 - All at carpark by now, introductions
- 10:55 - Start hike
- 16:00 - Approx finish hike, can meet somewhere nearby for refreshments
- 17:00 - Approx return to city
- Google Map from New World to Te Atatu carpark (can zoom in for closer satellite view of Te Atatu Peninsula)
- Starting from carpark on east side of Gloria Ave, we'll loop anticlockwise around the peninsula.
- Paths on Waitemata Harbour (east) side of peninsula are well defined.
- On the Henderson Creek (west) side we'll walk on coastal parks and reserves as much as possible but if some sections aren't walkable we can detour via some streets (we'll decide when we get there.
- We can continue around as far south as the motorway before heading back to the carpark or cut back sooner if we prefer.
- lunch and drink
- clothing suitable for spring
- footwear suitable for walking paths and coastline
- sun and rain protection
- street map of Te Atatu Peninsula
- first-aid items
- money ($5 cash if carpool passenger, plus optional extra for refreshments later)
(1) 10:15am is the latest time to arrive at New World, and 10:40am is the latest time to arrive at Te Atatu Peninsula if driving straight there. We'll aim to leave New World and start walk exactly on time. We are unlikely to wait for late people. Arriving early is good :-)
(2) We aim to walk together as a group at a casual moderate pace that is comfortable for most people in the group, with stops at places of interest along the way, including one or two lunch stops.
(3) The exact walk route will be decided on the day, and how far we go will depend on time and how everyone is feeling. We aim to return to the carpark by 4pm.
(4) As this is a city walk, anyone is free to leave the group at any stopping point along the way if prefer a shorter walk - just let us know.
(5) We are unlikely to stop at any shops and cafes along the way, so bring any food and drink you need for the day (we are a hiking group) :-)
(6) After the walk we can optionally go somewhere nearby for ice cream and other refreshments.
(7) This will be the first time we go to Te Atatu Peninsula for a walk.
(8) Auckland high tide is 11:44am on Sunday. This will be ideal for harbour views at start of walk and tide will be going out for latter part of walk which may allow more coastal access on west side. The later start time than usual is designed to fit with this and allow a longer sleep in morning :-)
- If you are interested to attend it will help if you: read all these details carefully; RSVP online soon; and update your RSVP later if you decide not to attend or anything you specified is no longer accurate.
- There are several RSVP questions about certainty of attending, transport, meeting places, options, and return time. Answering these will help with planning, thanks :-)
Are you interested to attend? :-)