Day 2 of Anawhata Weekend will include an easier than average hike from Anawhata Road down to North Piha Beach, along the beach, and over Te Waha Point to Whites Beach. Then we can spend some time on the beach and have a picnic before walking back to the carpark via Rose Track. Whites Beach is beautiful and relatively isolated as it requires a bit effort to walk there. Day 2 can be attended separately as a day hike & picnic or as part of weekend trip following on from Day 1 camping.
Duration: 4-5 hours including picnic and other stops.
Difficulty: 2½ on our 1-5 scale for loop (2 if return walk from North Piha; can optionally increase difficulty by exploring rocks and Fishermans Track). Main difficulty is steepish uphill climb up Rose Track driveway to carpark at end of loop. White Track is mainly downhill with shallow stream crossing at end. Beach walk is easy. Moderate climb up to Te Waha Point on Laird Thomson Track followed by easy downhill on Rose Track.
Weather Update (Fri 4pm): Metservice forecast for Sunday: "Long fine spells. Light winds. (sun symbol)".
- Victoria Park New World is initial meeting for carpooling. We gather outside main entrance of supermarket on Scotland Street near corner with College Hill. (If you haven't met us there before, you can read more details here.)
- Then drive to carpark at top of Rose and White tracks on Anawhata Road for start of hike. Carpark is on left where road turns right parallel to coast.
- If not doing whole loop hike, can meet later at North Piha carpark and join hike from there.
- See Google map directions with markers:
-- A: Victoria Park New World
-- B: Rose Track carpark, Anawhata Road
- Carpooling will be arranged for everyone meeting at New World after arriving there 9:30am (transport permitting).
- If you need a ride from New World, no need to arrange this in advance - just let us know you need a ride.
- If you want a ride or can offer rides from another location, you can mention this in your RSVP comment and contact each other to arrange.
- Best if most people meet at New World first. Option to drive straight to Anawhata Road is only intended if New World is far out of your way (eg, if camping or driving from west).
- The carpark at top of Rose Track is not large, so carpooling is important. It will help if those not meeting at New World arrange to carpool on the way. If not earlier, then can stop at carpark for Ridge Road & Centennial tracks and carpool from there.
- Each carpool passenger from New World is expected to give $10 to driver.
(Note: times may be adjusted a little with possible earlier start)
- 09:15 - Good time to meet at New World, meet & greet
- 09:30 - Latest time to arrive at New World, arrange carpooling
- 09:35 - Leave New World
- 10:15 - Arrive at Rose Track carpark if camping or driving straight there
- 10:30 - All at Rose Track carpark, introductions
- 10:45 - Start hike
- 11:15 - Arrive at North Piha if driving straight there
- 11:30 - Approx hike arrive at North Piha
- 12:30 - Approx arrive at Whites Beach, picnic
- 15:00 - Approx leave beach
- 15:30 - Approx finish hike
- 16:30 - Approx return to city
- Online NZ Topo of North Piha & Whites Beach hike area
- Google map directions from New World to Rose Track carpark (can zoom in for closer satellite view)
- Start from carpark at top of Rose & White tracks.
- Go down White Track southward on left.
- Cross shallow stream at bottom and continue on Marawhara Walk to road.
- Turn right on road and walk 300m to carpark on left (toilet stop).
- Walk on sandy track to North Piha Beach, turn right and walk along beach.
- At end of beach, walk up Laird Thomson Track.
- At track crossroads, turn left up sidetrack to Te Waha Point lookout.
- Go back to crossroads then choice:
-- can turn left down more challenging track with cable on steepish rock face straight to Whites Beach at low tide;
-- or continue straight on Laird Thomson Track, along some driveways, then left onto Rose Track which gradually descends to Whites Beach.
- After Picnic, go up Rose track and at driveway turn left to go back up to Anawhata Road; or right to go back on Laird Thomson Track to North Piha.
- picnic food and drink
- clothing suitable for summer
- footwear suitable for easy tramping tracks, beach, and coast
- sun and emergency rain protection
- swimming gear (if keen to swim)
- anything you like to play with on beach
- first-aid items
- money ($10 cash if carpool passenger)
(1) We have hiked variations of this loop before, most recently on 1 May 2011 (including extension to Anawhata) and on 14 December 2008 (including beach party). This will be the first time we go down White Track from Anawhata Road.
(2) 9:30am is the latest time to arrive at New World, and 10:30am is the latest time to arrive at Rose Track carpark if driving straight there. We are unlikely to wait for late people. Arriving early is good :-)
(3) It is safer and generally more fun to hike together as a group. We'll aim to do this with stops at track junctions for group to regather, but there's no guarantee this will happen so prepare as best you can for this hike (study map, this description, etc).
(4) We'll hike at a casual moderate pace that is comfortable for most people with stops at places of interest along the way.
(5) The picnic at Whites Beach can be also viewed as an end of year beach party. Food and entertainment can be up to group to decide :-)
(6) Low tide at Piha on Sunday is 12:49pm. This will be ideal for exploring coastal rocks.
(6) It will be great if most people join the hike and leave the beach at the same time, but if you aren't able to do this then it is okay to join the picnic and leave whenever you like - just say goodbye before you leave :-)
If you are interested to attend it will help if you:
- Read all the details of this event description carefully;
- RSVP online soon (even if you aren't sure you'll make it)
- Say what you are planning and anything else you'd like group to read in your RSVP comment (below the Yes/No options);
- Answer several RSVP questions about certainty of attending, meeting places, transport, ideas for picnic, return time (note, only Organizer can see answers);
- Update your RSVP later if you decide not to go or anything you specified is no longer accurate, thanks :-)
Are you interested to attend? :-)