Wherever we go hiking, we usually we meet at Victoria Park New World first to arrange carpooling, etc. Note, We normally meet outside the main Scotland Street entrance of the supermarket, not inisde. Here are some details about meeting there ...
Where is Victoria Park New World?
- Victoria Park New World supermarket is in Freemans Bay, about 1km west of the city centre.
- It is bounded by College Hill - Victoria Street West, Franklin Road, and Scotland Street.
- The main entrance is on Scotland Street, about 20m from the corner with College Hill, opposite Spring Street.
- See Google map for satellite view of where we meet.
- See Google street view to see how main entrance looks from street - we gather on the pavement there.
Where exactly to meet at New World:
Go to the main supermarket entrance on Scotland Street. Then, depending on the weather,
Normally: We gather outside on the street between the steps going down from the main entrance and the College Hill corner, near a bench seat and bike stand. Google street view shows main entrance and gathering area on pavement in front of steps.
If raining: Gather under the shelter at the top of the steps just outside the main entrance, or not far inside the main entrance. Be careful not to get in the way of customers, and if you don't see anyone else then best to wait outside under the shelter where we are most likely to see you.
If Driving to New World:
It is a short drive to New World from city motorways.
- Directions from Nelson Street offramp (Southern and Northwest motorways).
- Directions from Fanshaw offramp (Northern motorway).
- If expecting to drive to hike, you can park close to main supermarket entrance, on Scotland Street or bottom of Spring Street (parking time is limited here).
- If expecting to get a ride, free all day parking is available in many places about 100m away from supermarket, including Ireland Street, Middle Street, and top of Spring Street. Check street signs to confirm.
- If in doubt, then bottom of Ireland Street on left side going up is probably best place to park.
- The entrance for supermarket underground parking is near the bottom of Franklin Road, but parking time is limited so best not to park there.
Walking Directions from city centre to New World:
It is about 15-20 minutes walk from various Queen Street locations to New World.
- From Civic centre via Wellesley Street.
- From Midtown via Victoria Street.
- From Britomart, Downtown via Fanshaw Street (can shortcut across Victoria Park).
- Some buses stop near New World including LINK buses.
- Best to arrive at New World no later than the scheduled meetup time. This is usually 15 minutes before the latest time to arrive and is a nice opportunity to meet and greet others before we drive to hike.
- You can buy last minute supplies from the supermarket if you arrive early.
- There is a toilet just inside the main entrance on the left.
- We are usually quite visible and easy to find outside.
- If you are among the first to arrive then the seat beside the bike stand is a good place to wait.
|Page title||Most recent update||Last edited by|
|Past Meetups (2016-present)||July 3, 2016 5:15 PM||Stephen|
|Past Meetups (2013-2015)||July 3, 2016 5:28 PM||Stephen|
|Past Meetups (2006-2012)||July 3, 2016 5:24 PM||Stephen|
|Honours Board||June 19, 2016 10:42 PM||Stephen|
|What to Bring||November 2, 2015 5:59 PM||Stephen|
|Organizer Stephen for hire||January 24, 2016 5:28 PM||Stephen|
|Winter Hiking Guide||June 26, 2015 12:04 AM||Stephen|
|Difficulty Guide||June 6, 2015 2:53 PM||Stephen|
|Preparation||April 17, 2015 8:01 PM||Stephen|
|Waitakere Tracks||October 29, 2015 7:36 PM||Stephen|
|Kauri Dieback||May 6, 2012 2:31 PM||Stephen|
|Nations represented||July 3, 2016 4:20 PM||Stephen|