The Paris Expat Aussie Meetup Group - for Australians and friends living in this amazing city.
The purpose of the group is to bring together fun, laid-back Australians and friends. To share a drink and a laugh, to meet up with old friends or make new contacts, to share stories (even advice) about life, work and travel in France and around Europe, and to experience more of this city. Paris is an incredible place to spend time in, but sometimes it's nice to hang out with people who know where you come from.
We tend to have one or more meetups a month, the activities for which are often seasonally-dependant. With the help of the whole group, we also try to get people together for Aussie-related events and celebrations (Australia Day, Anzac Day, AFL grand final, the Wallabies on the big screen, etc), and we try to keep an ear to the ground for whenever Australian performers might be coming to town. We also welcome members suggestions when they want to guest-host an event or activity which they think will be a good fit for the group.
Some important points to note:
- Organisers are volunteers, who in the most part also have day jobs here in Paris with various other companies, so please be mindful of that in your expectations of the group and its various activities.
- We expect members to do the right thing by organisers and other members.
- If you are coming to an Event, make sure you RSVP in advance, so that we can make the right arrangements suitable to the venue. If your plans change, update your RSVP to no, so that a place can be freed for another member. When you don't show up to an event, you take that chance away from someone else. So please be considerate of others.
- Once a year we may ask members to contribute to cover the costs of having this group registered on meetup.com.
- Essentially what we provide are social opportunities for people currently living in Paris. We are not really equipped to provide information to those looking to move to Paris/France or to find work if/when they do so. There are various other websites and associations that are better equipped to help you in those regards.
However, we will try to create pages here in Aussie Expats - check out the other "pages" to save useful information for you on doctors etc.
We recommend that you post your own discussion on the message board or on our Facebook Page rather than emailing the organisers with specific queries.
Anyway, if you'd like to come to one of our events, see our Homepage or click on "Our Calendar" on the left hand menu for info about the next meetup(s) - if you haven't RSVPed already!
And P.S We are constantly on the lookout for new organisers, even if you can only host 1 meetup, every bit counts! So please shout if you have an idea or want to host one day..
Lyndell, Kim, Jeff, Sam & Alison