Irish Cream Liqueur
4 Pasteurized Eggs
1 1/2 Cups Irish Whiskey
14 oz (one can) Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 tsp Almond Extract
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tblsp Chocolate Syrup
1 pint Whipping Cream
Blend the Eggs and Whiskey together.
Add the Milk slowly, blending well.
Add the remaining ingredients and blend.
My blender easily holds this recipe as one batch.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Sweet Whiskey Cream Sauce
2 cups sweet potato (scrapped out of baked sweet potatoes, about 3-4 sweet potatoes depending on their size
5 TBS real maple syrup
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp fresh grated ginger
½ cup Roasted pecans-ground very fine
2 pinches of salt
2 egg whites, whipped until frothy
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup all purpose flour (more or less may be needed depending on the moisture in the air)
4-5 TBS Butter
Small bunch of fresh sage
1 recipe of Sweet Whiskey Cream Sauce
In a large bowl, mash the sweet potatoes or run though a potato ricer. Combine with salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and finely ground roasted pecans. Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold in egg whites. Next fold in whole-wheat flour, 1/4 cup at a time, and mix until a soft dough forms. Add the all-purpose flour until incorporated. (Don't overmix or gnocchi will be tough.) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll into several 1-inch-wide "snakes." Cut each snake into 1-inch pieces. Run fork over the pieces to created ridges that will hold the sauce.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add gnocchi in batches to boiling water until pieces float to the surface, about 3 minutes. While gnocchi is boiling, heat 1/2 to 1 TBS of butter in a frying pan on medium to medium-high heat. Once melted add sage. Carful not to burn the butter. When gnocchi floats to the top of the boiling water add them to the pan of butter and sage and fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove gnocchi and sage from the pan and reserve on a paper towel lined dish, keep warm. Repeat until all of the gnocchi is fried.
Toss gnocchi and fried sage in the Sweet Whiskey Cream Sauce.
Whiskey Cream Sauce
(Used on the sweet potato gnocchi and frozen in the ice cream maker for the ice cream)
2 cups of heavy cream
4 eggs yolks each
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of Jack Daniels' Old #7 Tennessee Whiskey.
To Prepare the Crème Anglaise:
Place cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, bring to a simmer.
Meanwhile whip together the egg yolks and sugar until thick and lemon colored.
Slowly pour 1 cup of the hot cream into the egg yolk mixture stirring constantly.
Pour the egg-cream mixture back into the cream on the stove and cook over medium heat for about five minutes, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat when the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Add the whiskey and vanilla.
Pour sauce into a container and refrigerate.
Special Tip: This sauce also makes a great base for homemade ice cream
Hot Chile Turkey
Rock your holidays with this spiced up version of roast turkey! A blend of Asian flavors and easy techniques puts plenty of flavor and color on the table.
Note: Using an inexpensive balsamic vinegar is fine for this recipe. The delicacy of a fine balsamic would be lost.
Makes One 3-4 lb Turkey Breast Half
Combine with ½ Cup Water
1 Cup yellow onion, chopped
½ Cup low-sodium soy sauce
½ Cup Balsamic Vinegar
¼ Cup honey
2-3 T. sriracha or Thai Hot Chile Sauce
2 T. Chopped fresh cilantro
2 T. fresh ginger, grated
2 T. toasted Sesame oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
Add and Marinate:
1 3-4 lb. Turkey breast Half
Heat; Saute Turkey in:
¼ Cup Olive Oil
Reduce Marinade; Stir in:
½ Cup dried sweet cherries
2 T. Chopped fresh cilantro
Combine marinade ingredients and water in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour into a heavy-duty 1 gallon resealable plastic bag.
Add turkey. Marinate, chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight
Preheat over to 450 degrees. Remove turkey from bag. Strain marinade through a colander into a large bowl; discard solids.
Heat oil in a heavy roasting pan over medium-high heat. Saute turkey, breast side down, 5 minutes, or until browned. Turn turkey breast side up, transfer pan to the oven, and roast 30 minutes.
Reduce heat to 400 degrees and roast an additional 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the turkey reaches 165 degrees. Remove turkey from the oven, tent with foil, and let rest 15-20 minutes while you prepare the sauce
Reduce marinade in a medium saucepan, boiling until concentrated to 1 cup, about 15 minutes. Stir in dried cherries and cilantro; let sauce stand 5 minutes off heat to soften the cherries before serving.
Savory Ricotta-Squash Tart
ACTIVE TIME: 40 MIN
TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
MAKES TWO 11-INCH TARTS
Instead of appearing in a soup, squash gets cut into rings, caramelized and baked in a tart that can be served with a salad as a starter, or as an unusual side dish.
2 large eggs
14 ounces frozen all-butter puff pastry, thawed but chilled
All-purpose flour, for rolling
Two 11-ounce organic acorn squash, rinsed and dried
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon honey
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pound fresh ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots (2 large)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish
1. In a small bowl, beat 1 of the eggs. Cut the puff pastry in half crosswise. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out 1 piece of puff pastry to a 12-inch square. Cut a 1/2-inch strip from each edge of the pastry. Brush the edge of the pastry square with some of the beaten egg. Place the strips around the edge to make a raised border. Chill for 30 minutes. Repeat with the second piece of puff pastry.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450°. Using a large, sharp knife, cut off the ends of the squash until you reach the seeds. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Carefully slice the acorn squash crosswise into 1/4-inch thick rings. Arrange the rings on 2 rimmed baking sheets. Mix 2 teaspoons of the olive oil with the butter and honey and brush on the squash rings; season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the rings are browned on the bottom. Reduce the oven temperature to 375°.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the ricotta with the remaining egg and the heavy cream. Season with 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and a generous pinch of pepper. In a medium skillet, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add the shallots and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden. Stir in the sugar.
4. Brush the raised pastry borders with some of the beaten egg. Spread the ricotta filling in the pastry squares. Arrange the squash rings on top, browned sides up. Scatter the shallots over the tarts and bake for 30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown. Sprinkle the tarts with toasted pumpkin seeds and serve warm.
MAKE AHEAD The tarts can be baked early in the day; they can also be frozen for up to 1 week and reheated in a 375° oven.
Pumpkin Ravioli in a brown butter basil walnut sauce
2 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
2 large carrots, cooked and pureed
2 onions, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground coriander seed
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 pinch ground cardamom
1 cup unsalted butter
1/3 pound grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons real maple syrup
1 Egg Beaten
Pasta Dough (I make my own from semolina flour…see package directions)
1 Saute the onions, garlic, and spices in butter or
margarine until the onions are soft. Stir together with the
pureed vegetables. Add cheese, maple syrup, egg, salt, and
black pepper. Adjust seasoning. Set the filling aside.
2 Knead and Roll out dough into sheets. Place a small spoonful of filling in the middle of sheet, brush with water and fold sheet over, pressing together.
3 Boil water, cook pasta until past floats, approx 1-2 minutes. For sauce, brown butter, add basil leaves and walnuts, simmer while pasta is cooking.
1) Break noodles in ½ before cooking
2) Cook noodles per directions on package
3) Leave a little water in noodles
4) Use same pan to add remaining ingredients
5) Add Velveta, Milk, Pepper to taste (will be a little runny until baked) I added quite a bit of pepper.
6) Bake 350 until browned on top. Depending on amount of noodles cooked (10-30 min.)