Kirk
user 10127572
Austin, TX
Post #: 5
I'd like to start the Gaelic lessons back up sometime soon. I have the Rosetta Stone course for myself but it's not really usable as a group course since it requires individual interaction. I searched around and found this free course, which has 128 lessons on it. If we had a place to meet weekly, we could get a regular pace going of 2-3 lessons each week and knock the course out in a year. Of course that would mean regular meetings, regular attendance and regular homework.

Erin's Web:
http://www.erinsweb.c...­

I'd suggest we meet weekly at somebody's house, and would be open to it being mine. I'd also suggest it NOT be on the weekend because that would make it more likely that people go out of town and miss a week. I'm thinking something like weekly 1-hour lessons, say 7pm on Tuesdays or another week night. The day of the week isn't as important as the consistency.

Anyone else interested?

Kirk
Vicki
user 9189794
Austin, TX
Post #: 4
Hi Kirk,
Do you mean 2-3 lessons a week during one meeting? I would be up for that, but for some people it might be too much for each 1-hour meeting.
Vicki
Mary Kay M.
user 13142140
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
I would be interested in doing this also. What a great idea.
Mary Kay
Seamus M.
user 4168630
Austin, TX
I am interested, but with 3 very young kids, I might not always make it. A few years down the road, I may be able to offer to host it at my house, but not the present. An hour seems to be about the right time. -Seamus.
Kirk
user 10127572
Austin, TX
Post #: 6
Hi Kirk,
Do you mean 2-3 lessons a week during one meeting? I would be up for that, but for some people it might be too much for each 1-hour meeting.
Vicki

If you look at the lessons on the link I sent, the lessons are short. Three is probably too fast, but I think two per week is doable. One per week on that site would take over two years. As with any language, if you're only studying one hour a week that is the "class" time, you're not going to learn the language. You should be spending 10+ hours/week (an hour or more per day) practicing, doing homework, reading and/or watching Irish language television (TG4) for it to really sink in. The one hour per week is just more for reviewing and pronunciation more than anything else.

I have the Rosetta Stone modules 1-3, and if you spend about 30 minutes/day on those you can work through each module in just a couple of months.

k.
Jonathan
user 8622313
Austin, TX
Post #: 4
I'm interested.
I have tried to start on my own with records but keep stopping short, mostly due to questions about pronunciation.
A former member
Post #: 2
I would like to know what happened with this. I'm interested in learning.
Kirk
user 10127572
Austin, TX
Post #: 7
I would like to know what happened with this. I'm interested in learning.

so far, nothing. guess i dropped the ball since a few people showed interest.
Colleen A.
user 9117619
Pflugerville, TX
Kirk-

I wouldn't mind though Wednesdays are the better time for me. That is if it gets going again.

Araris D.
user 7027731
Austin, TX
Post #: 29
Kirk

Did you stick with the Rosetta stone? How is that working?