addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Austin Celtic Meetup Group Message Board The Austin Celtic Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Scottish Independence 2014: Your Opinion

Scottish Independence 2014: Your Opinion

Jerome
Jerome_A
Springfield, MO
Post #: 10
I found an article in the Washington Post covering recent events concerning the upcoming 2014 Scottish Independence Referendum. I would expect that many in the Scottish, Scottish-American communities and our own Austin Celtic community would have strong opinions about this issue.

According to the article, polls do not indicate the necessary support for Scottish Independence to pass in referendum. But it goes on to say that the First Minister of Scotland (pictured below on the left), Alex Salmond "remains wildly popular in Scotland, and analysts say it would be wrong to discount his ability to mobilize a successful 'yes' vote".

You can read the article by clicking here .

So, what do you think?

1) Would Scottish Independence be beneficial to the region? If so, how?

2) If you will/could vote in the referendum, how would you vote?

3) Will Scottish Independence lead the Scottish diaspora to return to their mother country?

4) Would Scottish Independence result in more effective promotion of the Scottish Gaelic language and Scottish culture than it is under British administration?

A former member
Post #: 3
I read about this earlier today also! It's very exciting, though, with current financial problems in Europe, I'm not sure how well it would work in practice. I had wondered whether Scotland would still be required to return the Stone of Scone for English coronations...
Kirk
user 10127572
Austin, TX
Post #: 9
Hey Jerome, I just saw this post. I guess I don't get notifications for the message board and hadn't seen it. I've been following this topic since my trip in 2009, and expect the 700th anniversary year in 2014 to bring the referendum to a vote and for support to be at a peak. Obviously I don't get a vote, but I am interested to see how it turns out.

1) Would Scottish Independence be beneficial to the region? If so, how?

I'm not sure. I don't know enough about UK politics to know how it would effect the Scottish economy, but I imagine it would be a big blow to the UK if Scotland maintained the oil rights and profits from the North Sea. I think banking and oil are the big industries in Scotland.

2) If you will/could vote in the referendum, how would you vote?

I'd probably vote for it but wouldn't really expect it to pass the first time. I wonder if it will continue to be a movement with another vote at a later date if support grows, or if it will be a one-and-done vote.

3) Will Scottish Independence lead the Scottish diaspora to return to their mother country?

Depends on if they encourage it and make it easy. I'd certainly consider it if they offered me dual citizenship or granted a work visa.

4) Would Scottish Independence result in more effective promotion of the Scottish Gaelic language and Scottish culture than it is under British administration?

I'd think all Scottish culture and language would benefit from an independent Scotland, especially if there was an effort to promote and rediscover Scottish heritage. They're already politically independent with the return of Scottish Parliament, and from what I've read Scots have different attitudes for the most part on foreign policy and many other political issues.
Kirk
user 10127572
Austin, TX
Post #: 12
fyi - just saw this site in an ad in the celtic guide e-magazine. (www.thecelticguide.com)

http://www.yesscotlan...­

k.