align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Austin Celtic Meetup Group Message Board The Austin Celtic Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Book and Movie Suggestions

Book and Movie Suggestions

Keith F.
KeithFail2
Austin, TX
Post #: 6
Hey Celtic Friends,

Fin suggested that I start a thread on books and movies we might want to share with one another.
I have been reading an interesting book by US Senator Jim Webb (Virginia) that I want to share with you.

It is titled: Born Fighting -- How the Scots-Irish Shaped America

It is a well written in the historical essay form and starts with the Celts standing down the Romans who finally built Hadrian's wall to deal with the ferocity of our Ancestors. Mostly it focuses on the early immigrations that settled the Appalachians in the 1700's which later became the foundation for our rugged individualistic democracy in this country. It addresses the later migrations of Catholic Irish Celts to put the whole diaspora in context. It shows the huge influence that our Celtic ancestors have had on the culture of the US.

My favorite quote so far:

"...during a debate in which Native Americans were denouncing the Washington Redskins [football team] for the demeaning nature of their team name, a listener from West Virginia called into the radio station, 'Screw this,' he said, 'Let's change their name to the Washington Rednecks and we can all happily come to the games.'"

Webb points out that we Celts have rarely cared one way or the other what people thought of us, so long as they didn't hurt our families or take our property. That is why Jeff Foxworthy can make a living making fun of his own people, our people, the Scots-Irish, the rednecks that make up the heartland principles and values upon which this country rests.

Let me know what you think and please use this thread to share other books and movies on topics of interest to we peoples of the six Celtic nations.
Lorene S.
user 13891913
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Keith thanks so much for providing this information. I have the book but am ashamed to say I haven't yet read it. Your review makes me really want to get into it. I know others in the group will feel the same way.