The Austin Celtic Meetup Group Message Board The Austin Celtic Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Celtic Languages in Halo (Xbox 360)

Celtic Languages in Halo (Xbox 360)

Jerome
Jerome_A
Springfield, MO
Post #: 13
Celtic languages are hard to learn and they're irrelevent to the modern world. That must be why the trailer for a science-fiction Xbox 360 Game Halo 3: ODST used a song in Welsh in the background of the official advertisement for the latest addition to Halo, the highly successful series of first-person shooters set in a dystopic future Earth post-alien invasion.

Halo ODST is set 500 years from now on Earth, shortly after the initial invasion, and discovery of the planet of origin of the hostile alien species, referred to as "the Covenant". A special unit of Marines are trained to retaliate against the Covenant by invading the alien planet.

I find it encouraging that those in the entertainment industry saw profit in using a song in a Celtic language to set the mood for a game about a futuristic, sophisticated, hardy, elite fighting group. I think this is indicative of a growing interest in Celtic culture. I also take this as a sign that the youth and our entertainment culture is saying that there is a place in the present for languages oft considered antiquated.

In case you're wondering the language spoken by the characters is Hungarian and the drill instructors in the training scenes are actual Hungarian special forces operators. The designers claimed they chose Hungarian to imply a futuristic united world.

Here are the lyrics (from Halo wiki):

"Gafflwn Dihenydd, o'r fuddugol yn wiriol sydd. Ni fydd neb yn ein Drechu, Falch ydy ni i drochu, Traed o flaen i'r Annwn, mewn y gwybodaeth fe godwn ni."

Translation:

"We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise."

Here is the trailor. Enjoy.

Halo ODST Official Advertisement (Welsh song in background)
Lorene S.
user 13891913
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
That was beautiful. And very fitting. I hope it does indicate an interest in Celtic languages. And Celtic thought which is still connected to a much older way of viewing the universe in which rebirth and creation are achieved through death and sacrifice, and human beings are not outside the natural world in where all life is cyclical and has it's necessary rising and falling.