The Austin Knitting and Crocheting Meetup Group Message Board Community › Local knitting classes

Local knitting classes

A former member
Post #: 99
The Knitting Nest and Gauge have just announced some new classes:

Gauge
5406 Parkcrest Dr.
Austin, TX 78731
www.gaugeknit.com

Saturday December 29 and Saturday January 5
Topic: Beginner's Sweater Class.
Fee: $30
Knitters will learn everything from sizing a basic boat neck sweater to seaming it when finished. Boat neck sweater pattern sizes ranging from baby to adult will be provided.
Please see our blog for a photo of the baby sweater sample. http://gaugeknits.blo...­

Open Forum
Fee: $25/4 classes. Or $10/single class
Mondays 11AM-12:30PM
Mondays 5:30PM-7PM
Wednesdays 6:30PM-8PM
Thursdays 2PM-3:30PM
Sundays 11AM-12:30PM

Saturdays FREE LEARN to KNIT 2PM-3PM

The Knitting Nest
60 West Slaughter Lane, #200
Austin, TX 78748
512-291-8866
http://theknittingnes...­

Our first class for beginning knitters starts next week! This class is on both Tuesday and Thursday, the 18th and 20th, from 7-8pm. If you've been wanting to learn to knit for the first time, or to remember what you used to know, this is the class to get you started. This class is taught by Staci Perry, TKGA Certified Master Knitter with over 30-years experience. You'll be in good hands. Class fee is $30 for both nights, plus materials (which total about $13.) There is both a minimum and maximum number of students, so please stop by or call if you would like to sign up! The number is 512-291-8866.
Nicki
NickiM
Lexington, VA
Post #: 117
Although Hill Country Weavers isn't mentioned on this list, am I the only one who thinks that $60 for a 4 hour class with a bunch of other folks on felting is a little steep? (Like, absurd?!?!)

I have researched classes around the country at LYS, and the ones in Austin are way pricier ... who knows why. Gauge seems to be the only reasonable one in the area ... except that expecting folks to pay $10 to come and knit together in the shop seems a bit over the top.

Is it just me?

Nicki
Victoria
minimomes1
Markethill, GB
Post #: 7
The same goes for Michaels: I would have had to pay $15 at a time to go crochet and chat with them. I can do that for a lot less with you guys!!! I'm so glad I found this meetup group. Though, for those needing tuition .....

See you all in the new year,
Victoria
A former member
Post #: 8
I know not everyone can make the meetups (or know about us), but I've learned how to knit without a class. I just came to the meetups and used the internet in between times.

I think I'd take a class for more advanced techniques or if I just couldn't figure something out by surfing the web.

Also, I think the price is based on supply and demand. If the prices for classes are more here in Austin, it must be because people are willing to shell out the money.

Happy Almost New Year, Y'all,
Pam
A former member
Post #: 11
If you just take knitting classes at HCW and not one of their special events its $40 a month, you meet once a week, so 4xs. $10 per isn't bad, I attend in the AM so its not too crowded and I can get the attention I need.