addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Austin Python Meetup Message Board › lex/yacc/flex/bison style parsing in python

lex/yacc/flex/bison style parsing in python

Scott B
user 9882819
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
Hi,

I'm used to doing regular expressions in perl, and it seems python (which I'm now working on learning)
has good support here too.
However, if I want to do lex/yacc/flex/bison style parser generators (which I gather is the best way
to parse a language like VHDL/verilog/C), what would be the best way to do this in python?
I have received one recommendation for pyparsing (http://pyparsing.wiki...­) but haven't looked into it yet.
Recommendations? Thanks.

FYI, I have never done ex/yacc/flex/bison style parsing before, but I think it could be a useful addition to regexes (for me), assuming the learning curve isn't too steep.

- Scott
Peter W.
user 6989341
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
PyParsing is great and is written by a fellow APUGger, Paul McGuire. There is also PLY from Dave Beazley.