addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Australian Shepherd Meetup Group of Denver Message Board › Air Travel with dog

Air Travel with dog

Miriam B.
user 92658232
Indian Hills, CO
Post #: 2
Hello, I was wondering if anybody has experiences with taking the dog overseas on a plane. We might be moving to Germany in Jan and of course we want to take our dog with us. However, I am so worried about taking Kaya on the plane, especially because she suffers a bit from separation anxiety. So I want to make absolutely sure the airline we travel with treats her well. Seems the only direct flight to Germany are with United or Lufthansa. Did anyone take their dogs on one of their flights? Also I am unsure about the kennel requirements. According to what I found online (http://www.pettravels...­) she would need XL, which seems a bit excessive. I think L would be fine, but I wonder how tight these regulations are. I would really appreciate any suggestions! Also I am looking to buy a used crate suitable for air travel. If someone has one available please let me know. Thanks!
Mike
user 13639734
Group Organizer
Littleton, CO
Post #: 14
Well shoot, I just gave away a travel crate that was airline rated, it had been sittting in our basement for about 5 years and a couple of weeks ago we finally just donated it to one of the shelters. Had we not given it away I would have offered it to you.

We have taken our Aussie on flights, only domestic, nothing overseas. Time of year is important, but since you are looking at Jan, you will be fine, you have to be wary of summer months, some airlines won't even take dogs that go in the hold during the summer due to the heat.

I don't know about picking an airline that will treat your pooch in a certain way. They all follow basic rules that are there to ensure the safety of your pet, but for the most part you are going to water your pet and let him poop and pee just before you put him into the crate at the gate and they will wisk him away like another piece of luggage, but the difference is usually there is an airline employee who will personally take the crate and take it to the plane. Same thing upon arrival, they usually take the pet crates to a special area where you have to pick him up in the airport.

Other than that, he's going to be in the hold of the plane in the dark and cold like your luggage, I don't think there is anything you can do to change how he will be transported in the plane. I think every airline will treat her well, just don't expect any pampering.

Miriam B.
user 92658232
Indian Hills, CO
Post #: 3
Thanks Mike! I finally got a crate (XL) that meets IATA requirements and I am getting her used to it now. When I called Lufthansa they also suggested to get her used to drink out of a drip bottle, as a bowl would spill and then she might be out of water for the whole flight. Now, here is a challenge, but we are trying...
Mike
user 13639734
Group Organizer
Littleton, CO
Post #: 15
Never thought about the water issue on a long over seas flight!