addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Australian Shepherd Meetup Group of Denver Message Board › Vet recommendation?

Vet recommendation?

A former member
Post #: 1
We just moved here and my mini-Aussie Molly dislocated her knee (luxating patella) several weeks ago. We've been to two different vets and although x-rays show only stretched muscles. Surgery seems to be the next step. Does anyone have any experience with other treatments like a cast or a brace? Surgery seems kind of radical to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Mike
user 13639734
Group Organizer
Littleton, CO
Post #: 16
Hello and welcome, sorry to hear about Molly's knee.

I can't comment on treatments that you're asking about, I pretty much defer to what the vet's recommendations are when treating our Aussie.

We've lived here for a long time and have experience with multiple vets.

For small things we take our Aussie to Dear Creek Animal hospital, but for anything major we always take them to Alameda East in Aurora. http://www.vcahospita...­

This is the place we trust the most for anything very serious. Animal planet did a show from this hospital and this is where Dr Kevin Fitzgerald resides who is well known in Colorado.
A former member
Post #: 44
There is a vet in Conifer, CO that I've heard is worth the drive if you want to avoid surgery. While I have not used him, I have a friend who did when her Aussie had 2 ruptured ear drums. This vet, Dr. HC Gurney, resolved both without surgery, as he does regularly for clients whom have been told surgery is their next option for their pet. She has taken her dogs to see him since that point, and while it is a long drive and sometimes a long appointment, there has always been a positive result that I've been told was worth the effort.

Dr HC Gurney is at Aspen Park Vet Hospital, which is at 26497 Conifer Rd in Conifer, CO. 303-674-0280.

Please msg me directly if you want my friend's contact info to discuss the superb results she's had with her pets with this Vet.
Darlene
user 55798872
Littleton, CO
Post #: 2
We use Dr. Sharon Eckert at Alameda east. She is very conservative. They are also a 24 hr ER if needed.
Good luck and welcome to CO.