Announcing a new Meetup for The North Side and Evanston Writer's Group!What
: Writing Critique Meeting at the Library in Evanston Downtown (NEW Description)When
: Sunday, October 24,[masked]:30 PMWhere
: Evanston Library (Main Branch)
1703 Orrington Ave. Church St. Entrance - 3rd Floor
Evanston, IL 60201
(847)[masked]If you want to come and observe or just give critiques and not post, you're welcome. However, if you're posting a file, please read below carefully.We will know the exact room by the Tuesday before the meeting. However, it will definitely be at the library.Two train stations are within walking distance of this library. The entrance is on Church St, despite the street address.
Based on the discussions on the Message board (LINKED HERE) and the May 16th meeting, we are making some rules, in addition to the usual guidelines (listed below them on this page).
1. Writer's can post only up to 6000 words (about 15 double spaced pages). To find out how many words are in your piece, see THIS LINK.
Exception: You may post larger pieces in unusual circumstances (i.e. every 3-4 months) if you get permission, in person, from the group at the previous meeting.
2. Writers must post 3 days in advance, but 4 - 5 days or more is preferred.
3. Unless described as "NOT for meeting critique", all posters should show up at their meeting (emergencies are of course the exception) as discussed here.
Please feel free to contribute to, and see our discussion on policy:
New people are welcome, but please look over the description below. While meetings at our other location, can change from meeting to meeting, the format for meetings in Evanston, will stay pretty much the same, for the foreseeable future.
At this meeting, writers share a piece of their work, and the people at the meeting share their thoughts.
Please go here to post your work and read work for the meeting:
Guidelines for Everyone:
- Anyone willing to give a thoughtful critique is welcome.
- Members participate, in discussion, on the piece. Some members give written feedback (Ex. on printed out work, by email).
- Please check for stories here . Please read at least some of each piece posted, for this date. If you are not sure what will be critiqued, feel free to email .
- It is good to read an equal proportion of each writer's piece. While it is best to read everything, if you are short on time, please read at least a couple pages of each.
Guidelines for sharing work:
- All genre's and forms are welcome (Ex. chapter of a novel, short story, play, screenplay, poem, article, etc.).
- You may share your work, by posting here (highly recommended), or by bringing work to read aloud.
- If you post a piece online, yet find out you will not be able to attend, please email me, so that I can inform the group, out of courtesy for the group. It is especially great if you can email, about this, at least 3 days in advance.
- please email, if you are changing the date, for which you want you want your piece critiqued, OR you you have decided to NOT have a piece critiqued.
- Please do not put links or other promotion in the Files section (scroll down for explanation). Work must be shared as a file (no links for critique), or read aloud. This is discussed here.
- please email, if you are posting a piece, for revision, which has already been discussed at a meeting. There are special procedures for this.
- When posting files, please indicate the date, of the meeting in which you want your piece critiqued.
Here are more details about posting online and other means of sharing your work:
Here is information about reading files, if you are having trouble seeing the work, on your computer:
Feel free to email with any questions or suggestions.
RSVP to this Meetup: