align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Phoenix Pilot Group Message Board › Route East from KIWA

Route East from KIWA

Ken M.
user 9883018
Coventry, CT
Post #: 33
Heading from KIWA back to the East coast in the next 10 days or so. The last 3 times I've gone South to Tucson, East more or less following the Interstate to El Paso and then Northeast to home.

Instead of the route above I'm considering a route from KIWA to SJN to KABQ. This route would cut about 120 nm from the trip. Flight would be VFR day in a PA28-140. It appears doable at 9500 with a few deviations around the higher elevations.

I'd appreciate any comments on flying the SJN-ABQ route.

Ken Maher
N8434R
Chuck W.
user 14131269
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 3
Hi Ken
I have flown this rout many times and 9500 is fine. I set my gps for St Johns and this keeps me west of high terrain near Springerville (11K) and from St Johns I go direct M10 which MountainairNM, this line will keep you north of a small restricted area and take you south of the mountains around ABQ, it is the way the railroad goes. There is fuel avail at E80 and Santa Rosa, and TCC as well. This route avoids the ABQ congestion and high terrain. After Mountainair it is flat and you can start letting down to lower. M10 has no fuel, I don't land there, just use it for Navigation.
Have a safe flight
Chuck
Stephen
n5lfy
San Jose, CA
Post #: 15
At 9,500 it feels like you are looking down at the treetops, and in the summer it can get bumpy that low over the mountains.

Take a portable O2 bottle and use 13,500. I've done that several times before in my Cherokee 180. Usually have to burn an hour of fuel before I could climb that high. IAS is down to zero at that altitude. smile

Now I have a Turbo Saratoga SP so I do it at FL190. biggrin
Ken M.
user 9883018
Coventry, CT
Post #: 34
Thanks to you both for responding. I had looked at this for some time and thought it was doable, but it's always reassuring to hear it from someone whose done it. Thanks Chuck.