Animal Rescue Flights Message Board ARF Completed Missions › THANKS EVERYONE!

THANKS EVERYONE! BO JOHNSON TOUR - GREAT ESCAPE 1/19/13 - 18 dogs from SC TO NY/NH

Animal Rescue F.
ARFOrganizer
Group Organizer
Norwalk, CT
Post #: 929
**This flight is tax-deductible.**

THIS GREAT ESCAPE IS DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF BO JOHNSON...
Bo and his wife Marsha transported animals in the Charlotte area and beyond on the Freedom Train and other transports for years, many times doing triple legs to make sure the transports filled and never accepting a penny in gas money. They drove down to Anderson to help with EVERY SINGLE EVENT that Rhonda Sims had to raise money for the Anderson animals. They even drove an entire trailer of donated items down for Rhonda's Freedom Train yard sale a few years ago. They also donated countless collars, leashes and other items when they could. They never, ever said no to an animal in need. They've helped load dogs in planes and have pulled dogs from the shelter to await transport. Marsha and Bo are responsible for helping transport almost ALL of the dogs that were sent from Anderson over the years. In December, Bo left this life and was surely welcomed by many furkids, who thanked him for helping all of the animals that are alive today because of his selfless efforts. This Great Escape is dedicated to Bo.

Anderson, SC, has a huge animal shelter with easily 500 dogs in it on a daily basis. In this economy, not many of these dogs will find local adopters. Fortunately, the women that run the shelter for the city are very dedicated to working with rescues and transporters to get as many dogs out of their shelter as possible and on their way to parts of the country where there is not an animal overpopulation problem and where the dogs will more likely find new homes of their own. But there is a huge amount of dogs and many end up on death row...perfectly adoptable...but not able to get out in time. Rescues in the northeast have agreed to take many "death row dogs" from the Anderson shelter, rehabilitate them and find them new homes. Now these lucky dogs just need a way to get from SC to the Northeast...and that's where ARF comes in! Please volunteer for this transport asap...once we know what kind of aircraft are involved, we'll assign the dogs to their pilot/aircraft and post the info on this site. Please note if you can either 1) transport dogs in harnesses only or 2) provide your own crates. Thank you!

ARF Passengers:

Shirl Kula, Wooffun Rescue, Nashua, NH (KMHT)
Pilar - 12 lb Shih Tzu, crate 14 x 16 x 24

Journey Ewell, Manchester Animal Shelter, Manchester, NH (KMHT)
Skip- Hound/ Shep mix- M/N- 1.5year- 30-35lbs
Ant- Boxer/JRT mix- M/N- 6 months- 25-30lbs
Jaxson- Dachshund/Gt. Dane- M/N- 1 year- 32lbs
Sue-Ellen- Hound mix- F/S- 7months- 38lbs
Selena- Lab mix- F/S- 10months- 28lbs
Little Man- Aussie/GSD- M/N- 7months- 35-40lbs

Lisa Borst - The Rosemont Rescue-Hindsdale, NH (KMHT)
7 puppies - probably 5-7lbs each
Dylan- Lab X- F/S- 6months- 27lbs

ARF Flight Plan: KGMU-KBUY-KLKU-N47-KPOU-KMHT

Maps: [Great Circle Map] [FAA TFR Map] [VFR Sectionals]

NOTAM TO PARTICIPATING PILOTS
RE: WASHINGTON SFRA

The FAA now requires that all pilots operating within a 60nm radius of the DCA VOR complete the online course "Navigating the DC Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) Course". This course is available from the FAA website https://www.faasafety...­. The training consists of a slideshow that explains each step involved in operating into, out of, and within the Washington SFRA (Special Flight Rules Area) formerly known as ADIZ. A multiple choice test follows, but you will have the opportunity to download and print out all the course material. Everyone passes, and you will be able to print out a full size certificate and a wallet size card documenting your course completion.

7 segment plan: 975nm

Leg #1:
GMU to BUY 158nm
Depart GMU at 9:00 AM, arrive BUY at 10:30 AM
Passengers onboard: TBD
Pilots:
1) Julia and Jay Ryan-Billings - Piper Warrior 180hp
2) Scott Knoblauch - Beechcraft Baron 58

Leg #2:
BUY to LKU 138nm
Depart BUY at 11:15 AM, arrive LKU at 12:30 PM
Pilots:
1) Frank Robinson - Cessna 182
2) Eric Engstrom - Rockwell 114
3) John Simmerman - Grumman AA5

Leg #3:
LKU to N47 149nm
Depart LKU at 1:15 PM, arrive N47 at 2:30 PM
Pilots:
1) Brian Creed - Cessna 182
2) Eric Engstrom - Rockwell 114
3) Curt Meyer - Cessna 182 (jump configuration)
Back-up: Alan Conner - C172 (can help if we do one transfer at KCHO)

Leg #4:
N47 to POU 126nm
Depart N47 at 3:15 PM, arrive MGJ at 4:30 PM
Pilots:
1) James Vadola - Cessna 182
2) Dean Chenarides - Piper Warrior
3) Kirk Baur - Piper Archer
4) Bruce Cohen - Cessna 172

Leg #5:
POU to MHT 175nm
Depart POU at 5:15 PM, arrive MHT at 6:45 PM
Pilots:
1) Margery Gans - Cherokee 140

2) TWO MORE PILOTS NEEDED

Airport Code Location
GMU GREENVILLE DOWNTOWN - GREENVILLE, SC
BUY BURLINGTON-ALAMANCE RGNL - BURLINGTON, NC
LKU LOUISA COUNTY/FREEMAN FIELD - LOUISA, VA
N47 POTTSTOWN, PA
POU POUGHKEEPSIE, NY
MHT MANCHESTER - MANCHESTER, NH
Tal
tal_r
Medford, MA
Post #: 49
- There's a mistake in Leg #6 (it says "departs ALB at 5:15 PM", but ALB is not part of the leg).

- I can take leg #7. Piper PA28 - do your math as to capacity... :-)

- Suggestion: Change MHT to EEN. It makes that leg much more balanced.
Brian C.
user 10359885
Fredericksburg, VA
Post #: 8
As a pilot who is all to familiar with the Washington, D.C. ADIZ, My suggestion for leg 3 is to fly North to the Martinsburg VOR then East to New Castle, DE. It doesn't add much time to the route and keeps everyone well away from the ADIZ. I may be able to assist with leg #3 also. Cessna 182.
Curt M.
user 8995672
Pottstown, PA
Post #: 1
Like to do my first rescue flight. Leg 4 ILG to MGJ. I have a 182 in jump configuration (One Pilot seat only) so I could probaly carry as much as two normal aircraft.
VFR only
Frank R.
LouisaRescuPilot
Louisa, VA
Post #: 75
I can fly leg 2 (BUY-LKU). I prefer to use my own crates. I have 2 medium crates in the cargo area that can hold 2-4 dogs each, depending on size. I also have a medium crate in the back seat that I can easily remove if necessary to carry a larger dog harnessed there.
I'll give the airport manager at LKU a heads up as to the plan. Fuel is around $5.50-5.60 and I'm sure he would welcome any additional fuel sales.
If you're flying IFR from LKU to ILG the route you'll be assigned (regardless of what you filed) is TAPPA-PXT-ENO-Direct.
Margery G.
MaddoGirl
Somerville, MA
Post #: 98
I can fly MGJ to MHT and I can fit one medium crate in my cargo compartment (I own crates), a Cherokee 140, + one small to medium dog harnessed next to the crate. I own a harness, but it does not have the loop in it through which to put a seat belt in the back seat. Also the configuration, one large dog harnessed and a small crate.

Margery
al v.
user 8259582
Pelham, NY
Post #: 37
I can do leg #5 MGJ-ALB
James V.
JVadola
Hillsborough, NJ
Post #: 13
I would be able to fly leg 4. Happy to be part of this great mission. Im in a 182..
Tal
tal_r
Medford, MA
Post #: 50
I can fly MGJ to MHT and I can fit one medium crate in my cargo compartment (I own crates), a Cherokee 140, + one small to medium dog harnessed next to the crate. I own a harness, but it does not have the loop in it through which to put a seat belt in the back seat. Also the configuration, one large dog harnessed and a small crate.

Margery
Margery,

If you're end up taking leg #6, we could very easily do the switch in KBED. I wouldn't make a non-KBED pilot fly here, but since we're both based here...
(If you end up using the crate for the flight, I'd appreciate it if I could borrow it for the last leg, I can get it back to you - I live in Medford, not painfully far from Somerville).

Tal
Margery G.
MaddoGirl
Somerville, MA
Post #: 99
Tal,
Hi. I'd be happy to fly into BED. I agree, wouldn't make anyone else fly there but it definitely works and you can borrow the crate. I have picked up various and sundry crates, so no problem. I'd love to meet you too since we're neighbors at home and on the ramp!

Margery