align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Avid Geo Message Board Avid Geo Discussion Forum › mapping web development

mapping web development

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi everyone,

I'm a GIS analyst who is just getting into web development. I want to make mapping apps, but I'm having difficulty navigating around. Does anyone have any resources, projects, ideas that could point me in the right direction in terms of building interactive web apps (preferably OpenSource solutions...trying to get away from Arc).

Thanks!

Jackie
Brian S.
Brian_Stice
Boston, MA
Post #: 1
Hi Jackie,

I would check out Open Layers, which is an open source Javascript mapping app. you can create limited mobile apps and API's, but the code is updated frequently by experienced users and is pretty easy to manipulate. They also have plenty of examples and a nice tutorial.

Another avenue would be using Google dev 3.0 as you can create mapping apps with this as well. You would get the functionality of Maps and Earth, but you can import KML files in there which is nice. Hope this helps!
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks Brian! I'll definitely check those out :)
A former member
Post #: 3
By any chance, does anyone have experience with MapBox? Is it comparable to Open Layers?