Butler Gulch - CANCELLED DUE TO ICY ROADS & CONTINUOUS SNOW

  • October 25, 2012 · 8:30 AM
  • This location is shown only to members

HIKE CANCELLED DUE TO ICY ROADS AND CONTINUING SNOW FALL.

NWS Forecast for temps in the low teens with winds up to 12 miles per hour and a 90% chance of more snow...Right Now...Light to moderate snowfall will continue over the mountains and front range foothills roughly along and south of interstate 70 through at Least midnight. Additional snow accumulations up to 2 inches are possible with the heavier snow band over portions of summit and park counties. Motorists should anticipate icy and snow covered roadways in the high country.

Begining at the Henderson mine, this moderate/difficult 5.2 mile round trip trail follows an old mining road closed to vehicles - 1500 feet of elevation gain. Parallelling and crossing several streams as it breaks treeline ending beside the 13,000 ft contenental divide. At the termination of this trail is an abandoned mine and rusted mine equipment.  Look for the cache! Dogs on leash are allowed on this hike.

Directions:  From Denver take I-70 west to the Winter Park exit (US 40 West). Turn Left at the henderson mine road (8.9miles). Follow the road 1.8 milles to the mine entrance. Turn right onto the gravel road and follow it past the first parking area. Drive up the gravel road to the trailhead gate and park.

Carpooling:  Meet at 7:30am at Wooly Mammoth PnR, Section CC where we'll form carpools.

Optional lunch after the hike in Idaho Springs.

See you there!

Join or login to comment.

  • Nancy P

    I have to catch a plane tomorrow evening so I'm not going to take the (even small) chance that weather might interfere with my getting back. With regrets - seems like a long time since I've seen everybody.

    October 24, 2012

    • Nancy P

      or I may change my mind if it looks absolutely safe in the am.

      October 24, 2012

  • A former member
    A former member

    There are 2 of us, Rossy and myself that are carpooling from the Santa Fe & Mineral PnR in Littleton. We are meeting at 6:45am if anyone else would like to join us.

    October 24, 2012

  • Debbie

    NWS weather forecast for Thursday at Empire (near Butler Gulch) is a 30 percent chance of snow showers; mostly cloudy, with a high near 38. The hike will go on unless it's a really wet snow and the roads are slippery and dangerous. Check this website for any changes before you leave home. Also, check the weather and road conditions here http://www.cotrip.org/

    October 22, 2012

  • A former member
    A former member

    is there a fee? I haven't hiked in a couple of years. Is it a good idea for me to try it?

    October 19, 2012

  • Jim O.

    5.2 miles is the round trip distance, right?

    October 16, 2012

    • Debbie

      Yes, it's 5.2 miles round trip with 1500 feet of elevation gain.

      October 16, 2012

9 went

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sometimes the best Meetup Group is the one you start

Get started Learn more
Rafaël

We just grab a coffee and speak French. Some people have been coming every week for months... it creates a kind of warmth to the group.

Rafaël, started French Conversation Group

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy