Yurt Trip A, Ridge Yurt: Difficult (Overnight)



By popular interest, here is a yurt trip in the high Uinta range.  Now we will see if anyone can go!  The Ridge Yurt is one of the more challenging to access in the Lily Lake BRORA Yurt system.  The view is said to be quite impressive.  Details on where to meet will come soon.

This will be the harder, more rugged yurt trip of two I am listing, for people with high fitness looking to get a good back country workout. Trip distance will be 5 miles each way, including a big final uphill push. Trail is groomed, but not as frequently as the trail portion on the Yurt B trip for the 27th of January, and we may spend some time blazing our own way. Plentiful opportunities for side trips. Skis and snowshoes okay. I will bring both as I don't own climbing skins for my skis.

If you are not sure about your fitness, the trip on the 27th might be a better fit.  That trip will be more social, all on flat terrain, a shorter way in, and there will be more care put into the dinner.  On this trip, pack your own food and keep it basic.  The yurts are stocked with firewood (ready for chopping), wood stoves, cooking pots, and bunk beds.  There is an outhouse.  But no linens, utensils, or toilet paper.  

We can check into the yurt at 2:30pm on Sunday and must leave by 2pm on Monday.  I plan to stay until after noon sometime on Monday to get my money's worth.  But if anyone needs to leave earlier, that is okay as long as you know your own way out.  Meeting places are 8am in SLC or 10:30am at the trailhead (if you are not coming from SLC or do not wish to carpool).  More directions and details to come.

This is as close to a weekend as I could get, and also its a struggle to get weekends off right now for my job.  Plus Fridays and Saturdays are highly competitive for reservations! I am hoping for a full group, but however many can go, it should be fun.  Can take up to 8 total, but I am holding one spot for a friend (for now). There is a $10 fee when you RSVP.  Please read the Cancellation Policy below.  RSVPs will close 3 days out because I need to turn in all group members info to Evanston Parks and Ranger District before the trip.  There is also a waiver everyone must sign.

Cancellation Policy: I have these trips set up not to offer refunds -as long as the trip takes place.  Please do not sign up until you are sure you can go.  If you do cancel, you have made a $10 donation to the group.  I paid my own money to reserve the yurts and I don't want to be left high and dry after people drop last minute, and it gets too demanding of time to keep up with frequent roster changes.  Trip is on regardless of weather, barring some apocalyptic storm.  Fresh snow means more exercise and more "fun".

Pack List: Sleeping bag rated to 20 degrees F or colder (preferable for 0 F), eating utensils, toiletries and toilet paper, change of clothes, gaitors or waterproof pants, snowgear, pack to carry all your own gear, a couple meals, mug or thermos, snacks,
a positive attitude, skis or snowshoes, poles, thermals, and layers

Join or login to comment.

  • andrew d.

    I'm out the money anyway as there are no refunds on the yurt, but if you feel you have been misled or swindled, or that I was wrong to cancel, you may request a refund. I'm fine with that. I do not handle the group's accounts, but I will contact the administrator and ask him to issue refunds upon request. I did originally say the trip would be on unless there was very terrible weather, and I don't know if this counts. Sometimes people want to try to force a trip to happen anyway, weather be darned, and then after half a day of suffering, they are ready to give up, but not before. I've done that a few times and now I'm pretty much over that. Its either a go or not.

    January 12, 2014

    • andrew d.

      As it stands now, all the money collected with RSVPs is in the group's account and will go toward expenses and group gear. I am not going to ask for it to be transferred over to me personally to pay for the yurt fees I put down.

      January 12, 2014

    • eran

      Thanks for organizing.. I am fine w. $ going to group gear. E.

      January 12, 2014

  • eran

    Bummer...I might hike up to porcupine ridge and ski down incase anybody is interested.

    January 11, 2014

    • andrew d.

      I think the Beehive Group was doing that or something like it.

      January 12, 2014

  • Frank

    Too bad about the weather , are you going to try for another date later on Andrew?

    January 11, 2014

    • andrew d.

      Maybe. There are open dates in March. Pretty much nothing in Feb. I will see how this other yurt trip goes before I put down money for a third night. I will private message you with contact info so I can get you your poles back.

      January 12, 2014

  • andrew d.

    Well the previous cancellation comment I had done by a friend while I was at work: I actually didn't think the weather looked too bad, but I didn't get waivers from everyone and did not know everyone, and I've been sick and am not in super shape if something had gone wrong. I also don't know the area well and maybe its a white out and then can we even find the yurt? Big risk to find out. The wind advisory in addition to new snow and new faces and since I was having some cancellations anyway made me just not too up to it. There are more local places I can go ski this weekend, and I'd rather be out the money for the yurt than have a bad time or something go wrong.

    January 12, 2014

  • andrew d.

    The trip has been canceled, due to a winter weather warning.

    January 11, 2014

  • rachel

    I'm going to have to back out..injured my knee yesterday.

    January 11, 2014

  • eran

    hi Andrew - can you give me a call when you get a minute ? I have a quick question. My number is[masked]-2876. Thanks.

    January 11, 2014

  • eran

    Hi Andrew

    January 11, 2014

  • eran

    Hi Andrew

    January 11, 2014

  • andrew d.

    Eran! Where have you been until now? I expected you would sign up for this one. I will be emailing and calling you about driving and waivers.

    January 9, 2014

    • andrew d.

      Whoops! Different Eran than I've had on previous trips. Well I confused 2 people by calling the other one and that last message.

      January 11, 2014

  • andrew d.

    Opened the RSVPs again until late Thursday night. I've got a carpool set with 4 people though, so any other sign ups are driving themselves.

    January 8, 2014

  • andrew d.

    No trouble on the permit. You still do all need to sign a waiver, but its not a problem to have those who have not signed one do so before the trip begins. They are willing to work with us and be flexible on this trip since planning time was short.

    January 8, 2014

  • andrew d.

    Signed permit came, but only for me, as no other waivers arrived. I am messaging the director of the park and rec district now to see about adding the rest of you who by Friday. I am sending waivers by email to those I know and calling ASAP on my school break if I have your phone number.

    January 8, 2014

  • andrew d.

    Okay, well we will have fresh snow. I don't know exactly what to do about the waivers yet as only myself and Julie got them in in time. But I am contacting the Parks and Rec District to update them about the recent additions and I hope they will work with us. I don't want to annoy them, but as long as everyone signs a waiver, I don't know why they would not work with us...

    January 8, 2014

  • Julie Z.

    I'd like to leave my car at the Walmart in Park City and carpool from there. Please let me know if I could ride with you from there. I could also be the car that goes to Evanston, but I have a normal 2 wheel drive car (with chains). I'm guessing there's folks out there with vehicles better suited to to this type of activity.

    January 7, 2014

    • andrew d.

      I think we can do that. Not sure which car we will take. I only have a passenger car also, and no chains. Will keep everyone posted by Thurs now that we are closer and see the weather.

      January 8, 2014

  • Bruce "Brucer" R.

    Signed for overnight can we carpool call me to verify meeting place

    January 7, 2014

  • Lauralee

    Man I start school on the 13th. Oh well

    December 31, 2013

  • Bryan V.

    What is the groups feelings on two well behaved dogs coming along?

    December 27, 2013

    • andrew d.

      I want full yurts, so if they can handle the mileage, then I have no problem with dogs coming. Just clean up after them.

      December 28, 2013

  • andrew d.

    Changing the RSVP close date as waivers must be mailed to Evanston Park District no later than Jan 8, the Wednesday before. Preferably, they will be sent out sooner.

    December 25, 2013

  • andrew d.

    Carpooling would be great, if anyone else is coming from SLC and staying overnight. Directions to TH are otherwise now available below. There is a $6 parking fee per vehicle. Waivers will be coming out Monday if you are already signed up, by email. They must be returned to the address I will include by January 8.

    December 25, 2013

  • andrew d.

    Directions to Trailhead:

    Take the second exit in Evanston, Wyoming, this will put you directly on Highway 150 South, which takes you South of Evanston, to the Uinta Mountains. The road will be closed about 27 miles south of Evanston, the trailhead begins in the parking area on the East Fork of the Bear Road, just left of where the road will be closed, and just past the Bear River Lodge, on the right.

    December 25, 2013

  • andrew d.

    I will also need everyone to sign a waiver for the BRORA yurt system, and I will be getting those out after this weekend as folks sign up. If you haven't signed a waiver and returned it by a few days out, then the permit won't include you when its mailed out to me. This is not my rule. I'm just agreeing to what I'm told to do for using the yurt.

    December 21, 2013

  • andrew d.

    So for setting up carpools, I'm open to suggestions on where to meet- if not just at somebody's driveway- the park and ride lots I know of are all overnight-banned for winter. So I'm not sure where to suggest stashing extra vehicles.

    December 21, 2013

  • Greg

    Is there anything worth skiing up there????

    December 19, 2013

    • andrew d.

      We'd be on a ridge, that's all I know for sure. I'm picturing hills more than mountains in this area of the Uintas. Have not been to the yurt.

      December 20, 2013

    • Roo

      Be aware that Uintas can have some pretty good avy danger if you are looking for alpine type skiing. There is a fair network of trails around these yurts that are a mix of snowmobile and non-snowmobile. I have a map of the trail system, but I don't know if it is available online. There's also a map here: http://brorayurts.org...­

      December 20, 2013

  • andrew d.

    So I'm thinking for anyone who wants to day trip it, or who cannot stay overnight, that should be fine. I will set up a separate page for that where folks can RSVP so I know who to expect, sometime this week. Want to think about details a bit first. And if I should charge a buck or two, and so forth...

    December 20, 2013

    • Roo

      Sounds good. Skiers should be somewhat experienced to do that long of a trip.

      December 20, 2013

  • Jon

    I consider myself on the upper end of fit, and own skins for my skis but have yet to use them. Appropriate?

    December 19, 2013

    • andrew d.

      I think you'll be fine as long as you have a few mountain experiences. I've never used skins on my skis and am honestly not a super strong skier. I listed the trip as difficult more because if there is new snow, it will be and just so I don't get first timers who have never been on snow at all, you know? But elevation gain is around 1500 ft over 5+ miles. I don't have the specs in front of me to be precise.

      December 20, 2013

  • Roo

    This is a good write-up about this yurt: http://www.yurtsofutah.com/assets/yurt18-ridge.pdf It is a five mile ski in (one-way). I can't stay overnight, but would be interested to join the trip for Sunday (day) and ski back out. Andrew, would that be OK with you? We could ski into the yurt, maybe share a bite to eat and then head back out. Could chip in toward the yurt fee, too.

    1 · December 19, 2013

    • andrew d.

      I am fine with that. I was planning to offer the option for day skiers at some point, just mulling details, but I think there will be others who want to do that. And the more skiers we have, the less I'm worried about running short of time if we have to work through fresh snow.

      December 20, 2013

  • Summer

    Wish my schedule would let me go! We went to this yurt last year on cross country skis and had no need for skins. We also carried in very light sleds and had some fun with them once we got to the yurt.

    December 19, 2013

Your organizer's refund policy for Yurt Trip A, Ridge Yurt: Difficult (Overnight)

Refunds are not offered for this Meetup.

Our Sponsors

  • One Web Centric

    Matt's company specializes in WordPress and AdWords, 8 years experience.

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Create your own Meetup Group

Get started Learn more
Rafaël

We just grab a coffee and speak French. Some people have been coming every week for months... it creates a kind of warmth to the group.

Rafaël, started French Conversation Group

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy