Thanksgiving Car Camping in Canyonlands Natl Park (map)
Then hike, backpack, bike, photograph, adventure
--- options and choices can be yours ---
In Canyonlands Natl Park, Needles District (immediate area map) we will:
- Car camp for at least Thursday night - Thanksgiving Day at Squaw Flat Campground ($3/person group campground rate)
- Bring a FEAST to share in the campground on Turkey Day
- Day hike (unlimited opportunities for short, medium or long hikes)
- Mountain bike (2 or 3 different dirt road destinations. It is not the famous White Rim but, it'll be scenic and fun)
- Backpack (for those who choose to do this there are many 1 or 2, or more, night options)
Plan to arrive on Wednesday, Nov. 23 or early enough on Thanksgiving Day to participate in a group feast about 2-3 PM.
Stay for as long as you want. Many of us will be here through Sunday, Nov 27.
There will be plenty of room for tents so do not bring your little tiny backpacker (unless you are going on a backpack trip Fri-Sat-Sun). If anyone has a trailer, camper or other camping vehicle, they are welcome and encouraged too bring/ come with that. As a matter of fact, if you have a vehicle with cooking capability, maybe you would be willing to do things like be the local coffee shop each morning (just a suggestion, not required), etc.
- All your standard car camping gear
- Stove, pots n pans, dish pans, dishes, table cloth, cooler, dutch oven ( charcoal), etc
- Firewood (lots of it since there is none at the sight and we will have 3-4 nights)
- Camp/ lawn chair
- Tent/sleeping bag/pad/pillow
- Large canopy or mega-sized tarp with poles (optional but great if we get weather)
- Lantern (propane, solar or battery powered)
- Muscial instruments
- Telescope &/or binoculars (will be REAL dark. Full Moon was 10th; 24th will be no moon)
- Warm clothes (but in layers so you can dress up or down with day/night temps)
- gloves, warm hats, neck gaiter, long underwear, wind/rainproof shell
- Sturdy shoes/ boots for hiking
- Camp shoes, warm stand/sit-around clothes
- No need for bug juice
- Mountain bike (if you want to ride 1 or more days, good dirt roads right from camp)
- Hiking/trekking/ skiing poles (optional. Bring rubber tips to not mar the soft sandstone)
This will be car camping based so it's a perfect opportunity to bring the 'future outdoors (wo)men of America.
Not recommended but you can read here what park rules and policy are.
This would be VERY GOOD. Please note in your RSVP where/ when you will be coming and if you want riders or a ride. Post your cell #, when you can leave/return and other rlevant info.
Drive time from Grand Junction should be ~2-2.5 to the turn off US 191 then 30-60 minutes down Indian Creek/eedles access road to the campground.
From Denver, add on the drive time Denver to GJ.
From SLC ~4-5 hours.
Let's bring all the Thanksgiving feasting you might have at home. You may want to pre-cook and reheat, cook in a Dutch Oven, or . . . prepare a dish(es) however you choose.
As time gets closer we can start making a list of who wants to bring what but I am hoping we will have at the least: Appetizers. Turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes/ yams, string beans, cranberries &/or cranberry sauce. Desserts to definitely include pie.
As for all the rest of the meals - I will bring a 3-burner propane stove and if others can do similarly we may be able to set up cooking groups so we don't need a lot of little camp stoves running at each hot meal. Bring all your food - the nearest stores are in Montecello- 37 miles or Moab- 45 miles away.
Campfire Smores making will be encouraged so bring green wood sticks or metal coat hangers for the marshmellows.
The park service has a variety of ways to bill so I will let you read here what the admission cost is, but in any case, it is very low. Fee for camping fee will be $3/person/night. This will include picnic table, running water and toilets. There are no showers at Squaw Flat and closest commercial venture will be closed by this time of year. It's ~40 miles to closest town, Monticello, UT.
Doug Van Etten [masked]