Austin Backpackers Message Board General Discussion › Big Bend in September?

Big Bend in September?

Tom G
user 11081563
Leander, TX
Post #: 1
Last year in late September, Robert organized a trip to Big Bend. We met at the Chisos Basin Visitor Center on Friday afternoon, hiked up to the South Rim and camped in the primitive area for the night. Hiked back down on Saturday with a side trip up to Emory Peak (highest point in the park). Camped in the Chisos Basin campground on Saturday night with dinner at the Chisos Mountains Lodge. On Sunday, hiked to top of Casa Grande, then headed back home. Only had 4 people on this trip, but it was great.

I realize this is late notice, but is there any interest from the group for a trip like this on either of the last two weekends in September?
Vinitha
user 4257271
Pflugerville, TX
I would be interested. But I am unavailable the next 2 weekends.

Vinitha
A former member
Post #: 7
I could make it.
Tom G
user 11081563
Leander, TX
Post #: 2
Didn't get enough interest to post this as a meetup trip.
Dani
user 42771822
Austin, TX
Aw, it's a shame I just saw this and it's late in the month. I've been thinking of going to Big Bend, but I'm in crunch mode at work so probably not able to take a long trip until my project ships. If anyone plans on something around the month of November, let me know!
Tom G
user 11081563
Leander, TX
Post #: 3
Didn't have enough interest to post this trip, but two of us went out there anyway. Daytime weather was moderate, but it rained every night. Third night was torrential rainstorm with lightning, thunder, and strong winds. It put some of our gear to the test. Some people wouldn't have liked this trip at all. Big Bend looks healthy and green. They've had some good rains. Might consider another trip in November.
A former member
Post #: 8
Tom forgot to mention the full moon sneaking up behind the mountains to suddenly bathe the campground in it's golden light, the moon and sun both shining at the same time in the morning light, the wispy eerie mist floating among the mountains creating the look of another world, the deer that meandered into our camp as though we were not there, the kaleidoscope of blues and greens and oranges turning the sky into a giant distorted rainbow of colors, even the rain so magnificent in it's intensity and power as it engulfed the campground in a storm of wind and water.