addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 51
I'm on the second disk of Chobits. Note that I am not avoiding spoilers in this.

It's a very interesting series. On the surface, it looks like just another male fantasy-centric anime, with a guy (an aspiring college student as usual, first year ronin in this case), living in the big city for the first time, who stumbles across what some would (probably disparagingly and sarcastically) call "the perfect girl". In this setting, computers have been turned into robots. While some of them take on the forms of animals or cute cartoony characters (the daughter of the bar where the main character works has a keychain-sized one of this sort), the most common type, most prominently present in the series, are shaped like beautiful young women. Some are just cute: the tiny (about the size of a gerbil) unit owned by the main guy's neighbor is kind of funny. But most of them are potentially disturbing to the viewer: full sized, capable of mimicing an approximation of human behavior to a substantial degree, with their owners having a relationship with them that can be described as a midpoint between "pet owner" and "inattentive boyfriend".

I can hear the feminists crying foul already. But to dismiss it based on the surface content is to miss the incredibly relevant social commentary this series provides. This series explores the impact of technological human relationship substitutes on society generally, and the human male specifically... and the impact portrayed is not always positive.

I wasn't entirely sure this was the case until just now, when I watched episode 5. In it, the main character's "pasokon", Chi, finds a book called "the empty city". While Hideki (main character) is studying English with his neighbor (another male student), she reads the book, which portrays a city that appears empty. There are people inside the buildings, but they are all "together with it" (not sure if the Japanese is more specific than this), because to be "together with it" is more enjoyable than to "be with another human" or something along those lines. The character decides to go to a different city, to seek "the one for me"... but "if the one for me falls in love with me" then she must leave. I'm not entirely sure what, exactly, that means. Nor do I know exactly what Chi's reaction to the book (some weird glowy phenomenon) is foreshadowing. But it does seem that the content of this book and Chi's origin (she's a special custom model nobody in Hideki's life has been able to successfully analyze yet) are somehow linked.
Marcella K.
user 13814648
Columbia, MD
Post #: 3
I bet you'd be surprised that I have the whole complete manga volumes of Chobits. I bought them cause I'm a huge fan of CLAMP's story. Anyways, I kinda forgot what happened through out the story, but I enjoyed it.
A former member
Post #: 52
Wow, once I'm done with the anime (which will be a while since I'm watching it at speed of Netflix postal delivery; I'm still working on Death Note at least six months later), you'll have to let me check that out. :)