Baltimore Genshiken - Anime, Manga, Gaming, and Cosplay Club Message Board › Why Wait For a Convention? Bringing Panels/Workshops to Genshiken

Why Wait For a Convention? Bringing Panels/Workshops to Genshiken

Danielle W.
DanieCC81
Odenton, MD
Post #: 7
I spoke to some of the group that attends tonight's Anime Potluck, but want to put it out to the group:

Instead of waiting for the next convention for a panel or workshop, we have talented people right in this group. I know we have people that can sew, People who can make props. Make-up skills. Even those that just know the history of certain dramas in anime and would love have the opportunity to share that knowledge. So I'd like to start adding some meet-ups in this vein, learning meets. Who's interested, and who has a skill that they would be willing to share with others?
Rachel M.
user 19434801
Columbia, MD
Post #: 3
Count me in as interested! I don't really consider myself an expert at any particular skill, but I do know how to use a sewing machine and can show others who have never tried one out before.
Jon N.
user 96738152
Jessup, MD
If anyone out there is a good photographer it might be neat to have a panel on convention or cosplay photography. I've recently picked up photography as a hobby but I'm no where near fluent enough to teach other people and I would definitely be interested in hearing tips from a "pro" on how to take better cosplay photos (especially inside a packed/busy convention center).
Tenxel W.
user 107949402
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 1
Most of what I do involves a computer such as making animations with MMDs/Anime Studio, music, or games. My brother and I are quite decent at drawing, but we're not professional or anything. (You guys might even be better, I don't know) I don't have much more of an idea other than showing an animation for a panel, but I'll be glad to join as long as if I don't have class during the event.
Danielle W.
DanieCC81
Odenton, MD
Post #: 8
For photography, I work at the Defense information school on Fort Meade. I teach Basic Writing and Announcing skills for military broadcasters, but I have many friends/coworkers who teach basic photography and video skills. I'm sure, since we already teach on a daily basis and many go to conventions, I can convince them to give a many class on basics if anyone is interested.
David
user 7353153
Richmond, VA
Post #: 2
Yes, I'm definitely interested! Genius idea; it would certainly help me out a lot an an otakoob! No idea what I could contribute myself though. Perhaps a solid understanding of the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics as it applies to the time travel in Steins;Gate. ;)
Danielle W.
DanieCC81
Odenton, MD
Post #: 12
Hey, I couldn't finish Steins:Gate because it was too confusing... I'm sure others would be interested in a little class about the science behind some sci-fi!
Thomas
user 11809524
College Park, MD
Post #: 7
Most of what I do involves a computer such as making animations with MMDs/Anime Studio, music, or games. My brother and I are quite decent at drawing, but we're not professional or anything. (You guys might even be better, I don't know) I don't have much more of an idea other than showing an animation for a panel, but I'll be glad to join as long as if I don't have class during the event.
This sounds interesting. I do a small amount of audio and video editing for myself and wouldn't mind learning a better way of doing things.
A former member
Post #: 57
Hey, I couldn't finish Steins:Gate because it was too confusing... I'm sure others would be interested in a little class about the science behind some sci-fi!
I science, actually. I'm not especially talented at anything else in particular w/ regards to cosplay/prop design, but I get science, heh. If I were to contribute something I guess I could help out with discussion of some of the "science" in our favorite sci-fi anime. Call it a working idea?
David
user 7353153
Richmond, VA
Hmm, I don't know what anime I could apply these ideas to besides Steins;Gate, but I do have some knowledge about things such as time travel, teleportation, and near-light speed travel (or beyond, without violating relativity). Heh, that just reminded me about the comment relating to relativity I made about Redline at our most recent meetup! XD