addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bay Area Beginner Golf Meetup Group Message Board San Jose Beginner Golf Practice Group Discussion Forum › How to set your Email and Notifications

How to set your Email and Notifications

Brian A.
BrianArmbruster
San Jose, CA
Post #: 38
For those that are unsure how to set up their email and notifications (IE the stuff sent to you from the Meetup sites), the following should help:

At the very top of the page (when you are logged in) is Account. There is a drop down menu there with Email and Notification. Select that option. On that page you will see all the Meetup groups you are a member of and some general Meetup Email options near the bottom of the page. Check the General Meetup Email options as you desire (uncheck all to eliminate email spam).

Then select the Email and Notification Settings for the Meetup group you wish to change (note - if you are subscribed to multiple groups, you will have to make these changes to each group, there is not a function that transports setting to all the groups you are part of.)

Since we are currently in the BABGMG site, we'll start here.

Select the Email and Notifications for the Bay Area beginner Golf Meetup group

On that page are a number of radio buttons that control what emails you receive from the Meetup site.
Meetups:

A New Meetup is Announced - Check this radio button only if you want to be notified when the group posts a new event. If you browse the meetup site regularly and are able to figure out for yourself if there is something going on that you want to be part or, if you want to take a break from a particular group's activities but do not want to formally drop from the group (for instance, until I get my knee issue fixed, I do not want to be going on any hikes at the moment. Instead of dropping from the hiking groups, I can uncheck this button and I will stop receiving emails about new events.)

Changes to a Meetup I'm attending - These emails only arrive if you have RSVP'd to an event. Normally leave this button checked.

Comments on a Meetup I'm attending - For most sites, this is the one that causes the most email, but these emails only happen if you have RSVP'd to an event. Normally leave this button checked.

Confirmation that I've RSVP'd - You should be able to determine if you RSVP'd to an event by looking at the event itself, but if you want that extra little confirmation, check this radio button. normally leave this unchecked.
Note - this button has no bearing on the waiting list. If you are on the waiting list for an event, and you get moved up to attending, the site will send you a notification that you were moved up, which is something you would want to know.

Ratings for Meetups I've attended - Check this button if you wish to tell everyone how great an event you attended was. Or you can bash the event if it is so deserving.

Post Event Greetings - This email shows up at the conclusion of an event and is the one with the "Nice to see you's ".

Meetup Reminders:
Reminders will show up in your email box whether or not you have RSVP'd to an event. There are two ways to keep the reminders from appearing, one preferred method and one non-preferred:

Non-Preferred - If you RSVP no to an event, you will not receive reminders. Note that organizers really dislike you to RSVP no to events and would rather have you choose the preferred method.

Preferred - Select the don't send me reminders button.

Photos: These settings are personal and everyone has a setting they are comfortable with. If you are trying to eliminate email spam from the Meetup sites, uncheck all.

Members:

Member's 'adding a Meetup' is different that a 'Meetup being announced' (see Meetups section above) and a 'Meetup Announcement' takes precedence over 'adding a Meetup'. This operates similar to the 'Meetup is announced'. If you want to know when new Meetups are posted, have this button checked. If you check the site yourself, or do not want to know, uncheck the button.

Friend joins the site - check only if you feel the need to track your friends.

Organizer Broadcasts -

Usually having to do with changes to events or other things the organizers feel need to be broadcast. If you do not wish to receive these emails, uncheck the button.

Mailing Lists -

To reduce the email spam from the Meetup sites, select "In one daily email". To eliminate as much spam as possible, select "do not send mailing list messages"

Message Boards -

To eliminate as much email spam as possible, unckeck this option.

Once you have selected the options you wish for that particular Meetup Group, click on the Save settings button.

Quick recap to eliminate all emails from a Meetup group

Uncheck all radio buttons, select Don't Send Me Reminders, select Don't Send Mailing List messages, Save Settings.