Start 2013 learning about Microsoft Cloud solutions. In this first meetup of the year, we will explore the basics of Windows Azure, show you how to develop for Windows Azure, as well as explain the migration process for existing applications.
The breakdown of the meetup:
1. Intro to Azure Services (Eugene Chuvyrov, 30 minutes)
2. Developing for Azure (Bruno Terkaly, 30 minutes)
3. Migrating existing applications to Azure (Robin Shahan, 30 minutes)
1. Eugene will introduce the Windows Azure platform, explain Platform as a Service vs. Infrastructure as a Service offerings, and go over compute instances, database and storage solutions on Azure.
2. Bruno will present a number of introductory examples of using Azure. He will address deployment and writing code, minimizing PowerPoint. He will also discuss augmented reality and connecting the cloud with Windows 8, iOS, and Android clients. He will discuss working with Twilio and how to incorporate SMS messaging into your applications. Bruno will also review his various articles published in MSDN Magazine.
3. As VP of Technology at GoldMail, Robin had the opportunity to migrate entire infrastructure from a hosted environment of hardware servers running asmx web services, windows services, web applications, and SQLServer to Windows Azure and SQL Azure. In this session, she will discuss the whys and wherefores of migrating from this old-school environment to Microsoft Azure, problems they had with their migration and how they resolved them, and how things have been going since then. Questions and discussion are welcome.