Bay Area Rock Climbing Message Board › Any good recommendations for women's harness/shoes??

Any good recommendations for women's harness/shoes??

Robin
user 7085636
San Mateo, CA
Post #: 2
Hi all,
I recently discovered indoor climbing and I'm totally hooked. I'm wanting to avoid paying all those equipment rental fees and purchase my own harness and climbing shoes. Problem is, while I've seen many different ones I'm not sure of the best brand(s) to buy. If anyone has some good tips, I'd welcome them!
Thanks,
Robin
A former member
Post #: 38
Hi Robin,

As a new climber, the key is to be as comfortable as you can as far as gear is concerned. Since people are different, it's best to go to a store that will allow you to try on the various harnesses and shoes. Some places like REI will even have a rope to hook up a harness to allow you to hang. This is pretty important since hanging will show any uncomfortable pressure points. For shoes, it's a little more difficult as most stores will not have a climbing wall for you to try out. For a beginner, it is not recommended for you to get performance oriented shoes. Try on a pair and walk around the store for a bit. Make sure that they are snug but not so tight that it hurts after walking around for a few minutes. As you become a proficient climber, you may later on decide to get the performance shoes but by that time you will have a better understanding of what you would be looking for.

In addition to your harness and shoes, make sure to get a locking carabiner, ATC and a chalk bag. You can get a package that includes all this minus the shoes for a decent deal. There are a couple of Black Diamond packages that might be a good buy for you. For shoes, I've found the 5.10 Coyote's a good beginner's shoe.

Hope this helps and welcome to rock climbing!

Brian