Bay Area Rock Climbing Message Board › Lead Climbing Partner

Lead Climbing Partner

Sarah
user 3695456
Oakland, CA
Post #: 14
Looking for more and new people to climb with on regular basis. Lead certified would be good.

Thanks,
Sarah
A former member
Post #: 13
Hey Sarah,

What area are you looking to climb? My self and some friends lead climb in the Sunnyvale PG or outdoors in near vacinity. You're more than welcome to join us smile

- Casey
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Sarah,

I'm looking for some new partners too! I've been climbing obsessively at iron works and when ever I can get outdoors for about a year. Only thing keeping me back from leading is I need a partner to take the test with me :) I climb 11a's, b's and c's and mock lead 10d's and below. I have a rope and a good start of a rack for climbing outdoors. Let me know if you wanna climb! I'm usually in the gym on mon, wed, thur night and i try to go outside on the weekend.

Best,
Aaron
thecornyman@yahoo.com
A former member
Post #: 4
I don't know Iron Works rules, but you should take the "mock" out of your leading. If you don't feel comfortable leading 10d, go down a grade. Lead 5.8 or 5.9 if you have to, and then work your way up. Way different. That big dynamic move you make early in the climb? You might stick it mock leading, with the top rope backing you up. But when it's gone, you'll think twice. Just $.02 from another relatively newbie leader.
A former member
Post #: 3
Sean, good advice... except at Iron Works you have to take a test to lead. And you and a partner have to lead a route without obvious mistakes (back clipping, stepping behind the rope & no falling). I'm more than ready to do this but I need a partner! You or anyone else want to help me out? Oh, the test is on a 10a or 10b (can't remember which). Please!
A former member
Post #: 5
Aaron - would be happy to help anyone take a lead test, but iron works is a bit out of the way for me.

I'm surprised they make you do a 10 for the test. Planet Granite also requires a test, but you can do it on any bolted route you want. Also, no falls? It's a requirement you fall on the test at pg :D. How else can they determine that your catch/fall technique is up to snuff? Good luck though, and have fun.