The Lower Mainland Bookcrossing Meetup Group Message Board › Herstory Cafe Book Club - discussion - The Concubine's Children - Dec 10, 2011

Herstory Cafe Book Club - discussion - The Concubine's Children - Dec 10, 2011

M. Diane R.
eicuthbertson
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 67
This December, please join us at the Herstory Cafe Book Club (everyone welcome)
Saturday 10 December, 2011

We are reading:
The Concubine's Children: Portrait of a Family Divided
by Denise Chong

Quotes about the book:
“The Concubine’s Children is the astonishing and deeply affecting saga of a family rent apart for the sake of a father’s dream, and a daughter’s journey to reunite that family. Denise Chong always knew she might have a family still living in China. As a child growing up in Prince George, BC, she pored over old black-and-white photographs hidden away in a cedar chest. These, and her mother’s pained recollections of a childhood spent in one Chinatown rooming house after another, were the sole clues to her Chinese ancestry... “

“To me, China was what was left behind when the boat carrying my grandmother, pregnant with my mother, docked in Vancouver. China was the soil underfoot in the photographs of the two sisters who, as I thought then, would never meet the third, my mother. China was where you’d find yourself if you dug a hole deep enough to come out on the other side of the Earth.”

AUTHOR: Denise Chong (author not in attendance) was trained as an economist. Her writings have appeared in Saturday Night, among other magazines, as well as several anthologies, including The Thinking Heart: Best Canadian Essays.

Rhizome Cafe’s meeting room (limited seating)
317 East Broadway, just east of Main St.
Saturday December 10th, 2011, 4:30pm-6:00pm
Free admission.
*Kitchen opens at 5:00pm – join us for dinner!!
Food & beverages for purchase
Herstory Cafe website: www.herstorycafe.ca