align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Lower Mainland Bookcrossing Meetup Group Message Board › WotS Participation

WotS Participation

Marina
themarina
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 263
Discussion thread
Geraldine
user 2633496
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 5
I would be happy to man a table if the Word on the Street was in the evening or on a weekend as there is no way I can get a week day off. Geraldine
Marina
themarina
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 270
The event this year is Sep. 30 which is a Sunday and it runs during the day...
Helen M.
helenmartin4
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 9
If there is a table I would certainly help. I don't know what my calligraphy shift will be, but either before or after, whichever works. I will endeavour, to the best of my ability, to remain on my feet this year and actually fill my commitments without any side trips to hospital.
Helen
Marina
themarina
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 270
Come on! You mean you DIDN'T like your hospital trip? biggrin
Katie
waywenoc
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
The event this year is Sep. 30 which is a Sunday and it runs during the day...

I can't plan as far as the end of September, but I certainly could come up with some books for the event.
A former member
Post #: 10
What is Word on the Street? What is the purpose of a booth? To let people know about Bookcrossing?
Helen M.
helenmartin4
Burnaby, BC
Post #: 10
Word on the Street is an all day free event held around Library Square the last Sunday in September. Book publishers, magazine publishers, public libraries and book sellers have booths at which things are given away or sold. There are tents in which readings by book and poetry writers take place. There are musical performers and seminars on "how to get your work published", how to self publish, how to do performances using puppets, all sorts of word related subjects. The westcoast calligraphy society does free personalised book marks and there have been tables at which you can learn to make a stitched booklet, or discuss Zen Buddhism or you-name-it. We have done mass releases at WOTS, but there has been a thought that having a table with a poster would help to introduce the Bookcrossing concept and let people understand that, like earth, we are "mostly harmless." The downside is that tables have to be rented and staffed for the whole day, although we have noticed people packing up earlier than they are supposed to and tables have sat with information displays but no staff for periods of time.
Does this help?
Helen
Marina
themarina
Group Organizer
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 271
Thanks for that Helen. It's exactly right!
A former member
Post #: 11
Thanks for the info Helen. I hope I can make it down there this year-last year I was too busy with school.