BC Golf Pages Meetup Group - Greater Vancouver Chapter Message Board Golf Instruction › Recommended Golf Instructional Books and Videos

Recommended Golf Instructional Books and Videos

Tojoe
Tojoe
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 22
Hello BC Golfpages Members,

I would like to start a forum on golf instructional books and videos that members have read, watched or listen to (audio book format) that they found insightful and helpful, or didn't!!

I would like to get the 'ball rolling' (pun intendedbiggrin) myself. A couple of books that I have found very insightful and would recommend to all:

• The Four Magic Moves to Winning Golf by Joe Dante
  • The Modern Fundamentals of Golf by Ben Hogan
  • The Art of the Short Game by Stan Utley
  • The Secret of Golf: a Century of Groundbraking, Innovative, and Occasionally Outlandish Ways to Master the World's Most Vexing Game, George Peper

The first one is great. It debunks a lot of common misinformation about the swing mechanics, like 'keep your head still,' 'swing the clubhead,' 'don't let the body or hands get ahead of the club,' 'pause at the top,' and the granddaddy of them, 'the club [head] follows the same path down that takes going up.'

This book promotes the single biggest game improvement technique (as does the Hogan book) I've come across, one that most average golfers know nothing about. The supinated wrist position, initiated by the 'early wrist break' (...and proper requisite grip) to enable it. Hogan goes into why this technique is vital to producing more accurate shots and clubhead speed allowing the natural snapping action that happens with a good golf swing. Something you'll see in slow motion videography during the televised broadcasts of PGA tournaments!! Phil Michelson does it beautifully as one would expect, but there it was for all to see on the high speed camera replay!! Once you know what to look for, you'll see it!!
    Note to would be readers of these books for the first time: there is a conflict in counsel between Hogan and Dante which should be pointed out. Can you catch it?? It demonstrates the classic discrepancy of what good player/teachers say there doing and what they are actually doing!! This happened a lot with Harry Vardon who revolutionized the game into what we now accept as how the game is played with his grip technique (interlocking grip) which allowed him to hit great lofted shots that landed softly on the green and make more birdies where his opponents were struggling to get down in two!! He gave lessons which were misguided, telling his students his own swing thoughts which weren't what he was actually doing, but because he was a champion his advise was considered sacrosanct (irreproachable). Thankfully, modern video/photography technology has cleared up much misinformation about what's going on during the swing. The evidence of this is presented in the book, even though it was printed in the early sixties!!

The last book is a compendium of techniques and tips from the best players and teaching professionals in the US and Great Britian, most of whom most of us have never heard of, but who, non the less, have made tremendous contributions to the game, like Ernest Jones, Eddy Merrins, George Low, Bobby Locke, David Lee, Joe Dante, Phil Gavano and J. Douglas just to name a few. It provides the reader an overview of the plethora of techniques, methodologies, and philosophies going back to the beginnings of the game in the US. The reader can then pursue those tips and writings which captures his/her interest more in depth.

Another that Doug would say is an essential, is The Little Red Book, by Henry Pennick. This is a timeless classic. I haven't yet finished reading it, but it so far it filled with wisdom about how to prepare and play the game.

Hope you enjoy.

Bruce
user 6604038
Abbotsford, BC
Post #: 10
Hey Scott

I think this is a great idea.

I friend of mine told me about a website, and I read through it thoroughly, and took his advise to the range, and practised. It has helped my game out a lot, even though some of his methods are a bit different than the usual instructions, but I do think that it worth a look.

I googled Leslis King golf, and I clicked on the top link which is GolfPro-Online: Tuition Series: Leslie King

Bruce
Tojoe
Tojoe
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 23
Bruce,

Glad to hear you think this forum topic is a good idea. I hope members will take a look and share their tips and experience.

Thanks for your tip. I found the page, but haven't read it thoroughly yet. It looks interesting. I'll give you my feedback once I've done so.

What benefits have you experienced with this method so far?

Scott
Tojoe
Tojoe
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 24
Members,

I just came across an valuable site which provides instructional tips by PGA certified golf teaching professionals.

Here's a link to a great bit on playing a put with a break; play it (re: ball position) like you would a fairway sidehill lie!!

Tojoe
Tojoe
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 25
sorry..here's the link:
http://www.golf.com/g...­

at Golf.com.

Please post any other good articles that you think members could benefit by.

Scott
Tojoe
Tojoe
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 26
Here is the webpage of a prominent local golf instructor who teaches at UBC Golf Course, Scott Minni. He is a 4 time past BCPGA Champion and the author of a great book which ecludiates the 'supinated wrist position' to hit the ball square and 'solid' (to use his terminology).

It would be great to have him host a clinic for our members. Is there any members who have had a lesson from him? Please feel free to reply with your comments.

He is an innovative advocate for practicing golf at the beach to familiarize ourselves with the 'smash and carve' concept.

http://www.smashandca...­

Tojoe
Tojoe
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 27
Members,

I just came across an valuable site which provides instructional tips by PGA certified golf teaching professionals.

Here's a link to a great bit on playing a put with a break; play it (re: ball position) like you would a fairway sidehill lie!!

By the way here's the link for Leslie Golf http://www.golfpro-on...­

Tojoe
Tojoe
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 29
Here is a good instructional video by a CGPA member in Richmond Hill, ONT (North of Toronto). He shows a drill that he calls the perpetual motion drill to get the sensation of letting the arms with the club fall down into the slot (hitting area) versus actively pulling them down. By so doing there is no collision or stopage of their movement with the body and the proper hand action is allowed to happen.

It's quite a great video

http://www.youtube.co...­