addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Pittsburgh Jewelry Making Meetup Group Message Board Group Announcements › Mailing List Format??

Mailing List Format??

First, we had a great day yesterday.

I posted an image of the African beads still left, and I'm sure you see the creative potential.

But, on to another Topic -- Mailing List.

That is a broad term, and every site has different uses for it.  On meetup the "mailing list" is really a discussion group held via email, rather than by logging into the Forums area.

No one uses the forums.  They are like a ghost town.  On the other hand, people do read emails, and I get a lot of replies to the emails I send out.   But they go to me, not a "list."   With a mailing list, it's like a public forum, only using email.

When you respond to a message, it goes to the whole list.  Just like in a forum, when you reply, everyone can read it.

Some people find this annoying, so we've had this feature off.

Others, find it a way to keep in touch, share what's going on, and make new friends.

This sort of system is open to spam, and abuse, so there is a "moderator" feature which lets an administrator see the messages before they get sent to everyone.  This adds a little delay, but cuts down potential abuse.

So, would you like to use the mailing list format here?  Where you can send messages to­ and have everyone see it, and be able to respond to it, or would you  like to keep the ghost town format we have here now, with empty forums?

This group was an extension of our shop, and the saturday night insanity we used to host.  I've turned to it as our mailing list, so people can opt in/out easier.    But there are resources here if you use them, like the FORUM, where you can interact with other jewelry makers.