align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Adventures in Beer, Food, and Wine Message Board Group Discussion Forums - Please read › Dinner at home (YOUR home!)

Dinner at home (YOUR home!)

Tom C.
Group Organizer
Bend, OR
Post #: 43
There have been several people who have expressed interest in hosting Meetups at their homes, but have concerns (e.g., I don't want strangers knowing where I live, some members don’t have pictures of themselves, I don’t know this person, I don’t really cook, my house is too small, etc.).

So here's a plan:

-If you're interested in hosting, send a message to Tom or Amber with a rough idea of what you want to do. We’ve had Italian nite, Polish nite, Sushi nite, Jewish Cuisine nite, Pizza nite, just dessert and coffee, and many potlucks. Someone recently mentioned movie nite—great idea! It’s all up to you.

-Tell us how many people you want to host. I have hosted events as small as four! If you want people to bring food, drinks, money to cover costs, or anything else, include that information as well.

-The get-together will be posted with just 4 requirements:

1) Those wanting to attend should only sign up if they've attended three or more Meetups.

2) Those wanting to host are able to do so if they have attended three or more Meetups.

3) ATTENDEES PROFILE PAGE SHOWS A CURRENT PICTURE OF THEMSELVES.

4) THE HOST'S PROFILE PAGE SHOWS A CURRENT PICTURE OF THEMSELVES.

-If there are any concerns with any attending members, you have the final say as whether or not they’re attending. (Please contact amber or myself with your concerns first).

-A day or two before the event, the host's address will be emailed to confirmed attendees. No addresses will be posted on the Meetup site.

-Everyone shows up, eats, drinks, and has a good time!

Hopefully this sort of setup will allow us to take advantage of all the great things that the Meetup site has to offer, while still allowing people to feel comfortable and in control of who's coming to dinner.

A former member
Post #: 32
Tom, were you in my kitchen last night?

Paul and I were talking about this very same thing and thought we would have a dinner at our home in April. We thought we would cook the main dish and have everyone else bring something to share.
I thought your idea about not posting the address until the day before the event is great. I will call you to arrange.

PJ
Tom C.
Group Organizer
Bend, OR
Post #: 45
I would like to take the credit for the verbage - but it was mostly Amber's thoughts. I merely reeled it back a bit. But I concur.

While I have expressed my views on current profile pictures at many o' meetups, you would not believe the amount of feedback I have received about the very same notion (mostly from women) however. It appears the "I'm a single woman in Bend" truism looms large. This may prove to be the catalyst to prompt those who don't have a picture posted as of yet.

While I've said from the beginning, our group was never designed to be a 'boy meets girl' club, I know of many that are spending time together, some are even dating. Posting a pic of oneself can prompt the otherwise shy. I think that came out right. (Certainly if one is in the witness protection plan, or a prosecutor, or needs to be incognito for similar reasons, it would be understandable).

Meanwhile it is snowing outside...time to shovel the walkway.
A former member
Post #: 33
Photos are important for the organizers, too. Without a photo, it is hard to recognize new people. I know that before a meetup I check the list of people and their photos. That way I connect a name with a face. I have a terrible time remembering names so the photo helps me a lot. Also, after a meetup, I when I want to contact someone I met at the event, but can't remember their name or there are three people with the same name, a photo is definitely a plus. I haven't heard of anyone, including single ladies, having a problem because they posted their photo, have you?

Have fun shoveling snow and whatever else is out there.