align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Berkeley Board Gamers Message Board Berkeley Board Gamers Discussion Forum › Games I Want to Play: Fall-Winter Edition

Games I Want to Play: Fall-Winter Edition

Kweku
user 13709458
Oakland, CA
Post #: 37
Wow, those are quite a bit of changes. Didn't realize it was so different from 2nd edition. I had assumed that much of the stuff from 1st edition expansions was already rolled into 2nd edition vanilla.

I'd try it as long as it isn't spoiler-intensive, bring it next time!
David F
user 6964091
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 200
The first expansion (A Clash of Kings) and the non-4er stuff from the 2nd expansion (A Storm of Swords) was integrated into 2nd edition. Nothing from the 4er stuff in the 2nd expansion was touched.

4er, 2h - 3h30min is a hard niche! Will see if it works.
Kweku
user 13709458
Oakland, CA
Post #: 39
Looked into Ares Project, looks interesting. Probably my most-want-to-try game right now then.

Since I didn't cover it in my first post, other games I'm most interested in trying but don't own that other people do (using data from David's spreadsheet):

Here I Stand -- eh, at the right time? intimidated by length (Stephen)
Warhammer Quest (Ed)
Settlers of Catan Expansions (various)
Friedrich (Andre)

Unowned:
Marvel Heroes
Merchant of Venus

Upcoming:
Clash of Cultures
Pixel Tactics (getting this)
Duel of Ages II (getting this)
Stephen
user 16451961
Orange, CA
Post #: 17
Going through the HIS rulebook is a daunting endeavor in itself. shock

Would also like to try Clash of Cultures along with the kajillion other games I may or may not own.
David F
user 6964091
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 202
I'd try Friedrich or Here I Stand.

Stephen, if you're not sure about teaching Here I Stand or Andean Abyss, I can read through the rules too once a mutually agreeable date is set. Been wanting to try those.
Stephen
user 16451961
Orange, CA
Post #: 18
I'd try Friedrich or Here I Stand.

Stephen, if you're not sure about teaching Here I Stand or Andean Abyss, I can read through the rules too once a mutually agreeable date is set. Been wanting to try those.

Great because I'm terrible at teaching rules.
David F
user 6964091
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 203
My priority in order, including # of players! Blue = I own, Red = don't know how to play. There's more, this is just the top right now.

Long
4: A Storm of Swords; Rex: Final Days of an Empire; Chaos in the Old World; Hegemonic; Andean Abyss; Eclipse; Age of Conan
6: City of Horror, Dune; Rex: Final Days of an Empire
5: Chaos in the Old World; Battlestar Galactica; Rex: Final Days of an Empire; Cyclades
2: War of the Ring: Lords of Middle-Earth (not here yet); Horus Heresy; Earth Reborn; Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage; Hammer of the Scots
3: Runewars; Imperial 2030; StarCraft; Fury of Dracula

Eclipse -- Want to teach it so there'll be people willing to try the expansion in December.

Short
2 - The Ares Project; Android: Netrunner; Puzzle Strike; Yomi
3 - Puzzle Strike; Glory to Rome; Race for the Galaxy
4 - Wiz-War

Race for the Galaxy -- Want to teach it so there'll be people willing to try the expansion in December.

By Request
3-8: Twilight Imperium (third edition)
6: Here I Stand; Virgin Queen
2: Fire in the Sky; Warriors of God; A Victory Lost
Stephen
user 16451961
Orange, CA
Post #: 19
I actually did a short run through of Andean Abyss today. Seems easy enough, though explaining some of the rules is gonna take some time since each faction has their own special activities and the Government just has a different set of ops all together.
David F
user 6964091
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 204
Great because I'm terrible at teaching rules.

Maybe you're just being modest! I haven't learned a game from you yet. Kweku knows how to play and likes Dominant Species after you taught him, so it can't be that bad, right? biggrin
Kweku
user 13709458
Oakland, CA
Post #: 40
and Twilight Struggle, and Power Grid, two more heavy hitters for me

Honestly I've found Stephen's rules explanations quite clear, complete, and as far as I know he hasn't taught me an incorrect rule yet. I usually prefer a rulebook or rules summary to a teacher, but I still haven't felt the need to open my Dominant Species rulebook, so he must have done something right.

Disclosure: Stephen sent me a review copy of himself