addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Berkeley Board Gamers Message Board Berkeley Board Gamers Discussion Forum › Android(or other epic game) on Mak day POSTPONED

Android(or other epic game) on Mak day POSTPONED

Mak
user 10133970
Oakland, CA
Post #: 36
Birthday coming up on 21st but already doing Thur game night and don't wanna take up the whole night on this, so.aiming for SAT SUN. I'm committed to an all day game of Android or Twilight Imperium or something else you have in mind, or if you wanna run a tournament of my favorite games. Getting a consensus here....show of hands? Also let me know if you have a copy of said boardgames otherwise I may have to hope GoB's Android is complete.

Aim is to have it close to Berkeley. Walnut Creek crossed my mind, but most of the people I imagine who would come would be happy with Berkeley more.
Kweku
user 13709458
Oakland, CA
Post #: 41
cool, happy Mak day! So this is in February? But 24-25th is Sunday/Monday, not Sat/Sun, right?
Stephen
user 16451961
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 20
THIS INTRIGUES ME
Mak
user 10133970
Oakland, CA
Post #: 37
Correction: 23rd and 24th (Thanks Kweku).
Also see amendment in first post about location.
David F
user 6964091
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 210
OH YEAH.

I have Android. Do you know how to play, and/or can you teach? Else I'll struggle through the rulebook. I think it best to restrict it to 3 players if learning game though; any more and TI3 will probably be better (I have that too; you can borrow either if I can't make it).
Mak
user 10133970
Oakland, CA
Post #: 38
I've only learned half a game once by Deniz ages ago. Definitely would not know what I'm doing even if I read the rules thoroughly beforehand
David F
user 6964091
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 211
You must like it a lot to request it for your birthday just off half a game, huh? :) I'll see if I can learn it beforehand, or we can just be lazy and play an easy game like TI3 (hehe).
Kweku
user 13709458
Oakland, CA
Post #: 43
shock Android must be pretty hardcore
Mak
user 10133970
Oakland, CA
Post #: 40
As I remember it, Android is known for just known for being long and had a big rule book (although it doesn't mean there is a lit of rules or the rules are complicated). I like rpg adventures so arkham and descent and talisman etc appeal to me, but then again, I give anything a shot or two.

TI is definitely open for featured game of the event. Also seeing TI Rex tonight is open. Game of Thrones...also good to give it another go.

Here is a list of some of my usual likes that could be used for ideas for a marathon of fun:
Italian games(Masters of Venice, Traders of Genoa, Princes of Florence, Firenze etc)
Trains (Ticket to Ride, Steam, Age of Steam, Railroad Tycoon etc)
RFTG ( Race, Citadels, San Juan, Emminent Domain, Glory to Rome)
Deck Builders(Dominion, Thunderstone, Runewars, Netrunner{still need to learn}, Resident evil etc)
One vs the Many( Pandemic, Betrayal, Fury of Dracula, Descent, Mansions of Madness, Catacombs,)
spiel de jahres like we did a few years back

Also, i got an idea for a team tournament thing. Teams will be randomized according to a player of every skill level and experience in years of playing. The day will have randomly chosen games of various skill. Each team will choose their rep to play each game. This way, teams are not stacked, close-to-equal male/female distribution, and each team has equal chance to win points for the outcome in each game tier.

For example: I got randomized into a team with Diana, Shanthi, Charles, Inga, Grant, Ama. We might discuss together and come to a conclusion to put our line-up like this:
Casual/Fun- Quirkle - Diana
Some key Strategy- Tichu - Inga
Some random some strategy euro- Spiecherstadt - Mak
Heavy planning quick thinking - Trias - Shanthi
Fun and cute but a lot more to it than you think- Dungeon Lords -Charles
AP decision moments but worth every second of it- Medici - Grant
Hardcore-You'd-really--spend-hours-on-­that-epic-plays- Chaos in the Old World -Ama

***this example is by no means entirely on my opinion of the evaluations of the skills level of each person mentioned above. The teams will probably be divided on the day of and each person will be allowed to sign up for what level of play they think they are, based on their own knowledge of how long they have been playing euro(or anyof the stuff we as BBG play regularly) and their individual capability and speed to grasp concepts.

To make it not completely crazy random, I can try to put out a list of possible games for each tier so ppl can think about which tier they wanna be in and research the rules ahead of time or play them at the next meetup prior to the event and learn them if they don't know that game already). All that remains for that event day is which team you get drawn with and how you decide together who's playing in which tier since it's not restricted by which tier you signed up as(merely a system to divvy up skill level) cuz you might be super good at a game at a diff tier that a teammate would want to trade spots with you.

So this is all some crazy ideas I just got while I just literally woke up. Now I better quit thinking about this too much and get my butt out of bed and go run and shower and start my day. But...I'm pretty stoked if I can actually get this team tourney thing to happen successfully with help of good co-organizers.
Mak
user 10133970
Oakland, CA
Post #: 41
Oh! plus if this does work, the event day may go something like this....
9am gaming commence. signing up for tiers
9-1030/11- warm up games whatever ppl want. teams will be figured out and announced
11-12 lunch and short games and conclusions of heavier games that started around 9 or 10. time for teams get together and review the announcement tournment game list
1230 - start of tournament. all games start same time
1-2 some games finished, ppl can play whatever they want to go observe the other tiers and root for their teammates
3-4 almost all games finish, maybe not the epic super long one.
5-6 open play continues
6-7 maybe break for dinner or collaboration of everyone chipping in for delivered food like pizza, Wingstop, or subway sandwiches(not Subway themselves, some other better place like Quiznos)
8-9 still open play, maybe start of mystery games like Murder mystery or Mafia, as Ralph likes it.
10pm wind down.

12am......Bharath is still trying to keep us hostage for more games j/k