BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION OF THOMAS NAST, THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN POLITICAL CARTOONIST!! Beware, he did have a racist streak in him and with Irish immigration at the time, he wasn't particularly a fan.
1. Please follow the moderator's instructions. When passionate people discuss tough issues, things can easily get out of hand, but we've managed to have hundreds of fruitful discussions by having a moderator keep things fair and respectful.
2. If there is a disagreement, the person who disagrees addresses his/her opposition to the moderator and not to the other party.
3. Please be on time so we can begin and end on time.
4. If you’re posting a comment, please limit it to logistics or links, and avoid discussion points. Please don’t post any “sorry I can’t make it” or “this looks good” comments because everyone signed will receive it. Simply un-RSVP if you cannot attend.
The following conduct is prohibited:
· pointing fingers at others
· appropriating the discussion to serve a personal agenda
· raise one’s voice in anger
· name calling
· telling others they are “wrong” or that they cannot speak to a subject because they no frame of reference when addressing sex, sexual orientation, race, color, religion or social class
· Verbal attacks of any kinds directed toward anyone including wait staff, venue management, and group members which include the moderator.
5. No side conversations are permitted while the discussion is active. Those who need to talk are welcome to leave the room to do it.
6. One person speaks at a time.
7. Please raise your hand or give physical indication that you wish to speak.
8. Please speak briefly but be as thorough as you can.
9. Please do not deviate from the topic being discussed.
10. In rare situations, an attendee may be asked to leave for repeated violations of these rules. The moderator has full authority to request removal.
11. If asked to leave, the attendee should quickly pay his or her bill and leave the room and the building without further incident.
12. You’re “permitted” to “non-show” 2 times. On your 3rd no-show you’ll be removed from the group.
13. Do not sign up for a BOOK event unless you intend to read the book.
14. Please read some or all of the materials linked for each discussion. Failure to do so has the result of a) you speaking in ignorance and b) the group cheated out of a more enlightened voice.
15. Expect to be called on because this is a no wallflower zone.
Where are the so called "voices of reason," why does it appear that they don't condone violence, misogyny and hate towards anything Western, and is the backlash against them reasonable based upon actions in recent world history?
http://bit.ly/1rgEqY2 (skip the article, read the comments)