ACHTUNG! CodeAcross, BigApps, & NYC Code Corps
Monday, February 18, 2013 3:57 PM
Open NY Forum Friends,
First, thanks for coming out last week. I am working on collating all of the great ideas and should have that done by the end of the week. We will care on this discussion into this weekend’s Code Across NYC. < http://www.meetup.com/openny/events/103151862 >
Also, let me express my deepest thanks in supporting our effort to build a 21st Century Government. Over the next few months, we need your help. This month, we are starting a run of some great events that will change the way NYC, New York State, and the rest of the nation views technology policy. The goal is to get New Yorkers talking about new policies and start coding actual apps that will make our government better.
To do this, we need volunteers.
Here are the upcoming important things:
- Code Across NYC!
- Website: http://www.meetup.com/openny/events/103151862
- Ask: Two to four volunteers who can be around all day or half day and help take care of the space and help out.
- When: Saturday, February 23, 2013, 9am to 9pm
- Where: NYU-Polytechnic Incubator, 137 Varick Street, 2nd Floor, New York, NY
- What: On 23 Feb, we will celebrate the venn diagram of Code for America's Code Across America and International Open Data Day. This is a one-day civic hack day with a bit for everyone. If you are interested in building civic apps, we have some high value data sets for you to chew on. If you are interested in developing NYC's 21st Century technology policy, we will have thought leaders for you to debate. If you don't know where to start, we will have previous BigApps winners walk you through the concept of building a civic app.
- NYC BigApps 2013
- Website: http://www.nycedc.com/program/nyc-bigapps
- Ask: We are looking for event volunteers who can help run evening or weekend events. This will launch toward the end of March and run for a few months.
- What: The 4th iteration of NYC BigApps will focus on economic development and community development. We are planning a series of weekday and weekend events?
Now that you know what’s on the horizon, here’s where we need your help.
- NYC Code Corps
- Website: http://www.nyc.gov/html/digital/html/codecorps/codecorps.shtml
- Ask: Be prepare to help service the city in times of emergencies.
- What: On 14 Feb, NYC launched the nation’s first municipal program to engage volunteer technologists to realize lifesaving City government initiatives with an emphasis on emergency and disaster recovery needs. As inaugural participants, we need to build our “I wanna code!” volunteer list. < http://bit.ly/ony_vol >
- If you want to volunteer in non-technical ways, we need volunteers to help prepare and staff upcoming events, among other activities. < http://bit.ly/ony_vol >
- If you have coding or technical skills, we want to start creating teams to get cracking on creating the apps that will revolutionize how people interact with their government. Try to join us for Code Across NYC! If not, fill out our contact form and click “I wanna code!” < http://bit.ly/ony_vol >.
Thank you and I hope to see all of you soon.Noel Hidalgo & Philip, Rebecca, Veronica, and Chris
- If you have other specific skills to help, please let us know < http://bit.ly/ony_vol >.
Open NY Forum / Code for America’s NYC Brigade
Sent from a Apple //c Plus