The original Berkeley Bicycling Meetup Group has reached a wider geographic cycling community than it's original intent and the leadership team is in transition. We have a new name: Bike the Bay Cycling since we go all around the Bay Area. This Meetup is for anyone who wants to meet new people through cycling! We have mostly done road rides, but I plan to post a few multi-terrain bike rides similar to the one we did in Berkeley and Wildcat Canyon Regional Park. The rides are a lot of fun and are a great way to learn new routes and meet GREAT people.
There is an annual 10.00 membership fee which covers Meetup dues and organizer costs paid at the time of the first ride. It is good for two other Meetup groups, New to the SF/Bay Area and Workout Walks.
Our road rides range from flat, social, brunch or happy hour rides to moderately difficult, mid- to long distance, 20-60 miles with flat-5000 feet climb. The details will be posted in each ride so you can judge whether it will suit your level of fitness. We strive to be a cohesive group!
We do a lot of "BART to BART" and "Bike to BART" rides to encompass greater distances in a convenient way and often have "bail out" options.
My general no-drop policy is that I will wait (or you will wait!) 10 minutes at the top of hills for catchups, and major intersections. We are never in "race mode" and our aim is to encourage cycling and socializing. A moderate pace would be 14-18 MPH on the flats.
We also do a few overnight rides with various accommodations ranging from motels to hostels to camping options. Browse our past rides to get a sense of the variety of rides we do.
Many of our rides involve hills so you'll want to make sure your bike is in good shape (clean and lubricated chain, plenty of life in your front and rear brake pads). If you're not sure if your chariot is in good shape, I'd take it down to Mike's friends at a community bike shop: Street Level Cycles. There you can work on your bike for free (includes free advice) or leave it with them for a professional tune up for a nominal fee.
Check out our past events to see the type of rides we do. If you have a suggestion, shoot me an email and I'd be happy to add it to our calendar.
That being said:"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" (The Way of Lao-tzu). Come out for a ride whether you're ready or not and you'll do fine!
Looking forward to seeing you all out there,
Annual Membership Fee: 10.00 to cover Meetup dues and Organizer planning to be paid at your first event.
Click here to read our Attendance Policy
Click here to read our Legal Disclaimer and Liability Information:
- Bike the Bay Cycling is a private group. Attending events is voluntary by you as a member. Participation in any activity with us is at your own risk.
- By joining Bike the Bay Cycling as a member you agree to indemnify and hold harmless Bike the Bay Cycling, its organizers, coorganizers, assistant organizers, event hosts, and other members from all claims or liability of every type (including court costs and legal fees) for injury or death to any person or for damage to property, loss of personal property or any other wrongful act arising out of or relating to your participation as a member. This agreement applies to you and to other persons (as your guests) who may accompany you in these endeavors.
- You also agree to hold the organizers as well as other group members harmless. By participating voluntarily in the group, you expressly waive any and all such claims against each and every other member in the group, including without limitation any and all claims against the group organizer, coorganizers, assistant organizers, and event hosts
- Bike the Bay Cycling may hold a variety of different activities such as, but not limited to cycling, hiking, biking, camping, cultural events and so on. These events can be dangerous and pose a risk to Bike the Bay Cycling members and guests. By participating voluntarily in the group you understand that you are responsible for your own safety.
- Any social events that Bike the Bay Cycling sponsors and holds such as, but not limited to cycling, picnics, group trips, outings, dining, concerts and so on will fall also under the same Disclaimer and Liability guidelines listed above.