Ever ridden all the way around San Francisco? Here's your chance.
We'll start at Harry Bridges Plaza (the plaza in the middle of the Embarcadero, at the end of Market Street, in front of the Ferry Building), then circle the City in a counter-clockwise direction--this should get us through the touristy areas before most people show up.
The trip is about 33 miles (36 if we cross the Golden Gate Bridge), and includes about 2,400 feet of climbing. See a map of the route here. Our pace will be moderate (10-12 MPH?), with plenty of stops to regroup, use the bathrooms, grab a photo or a cup of Joe. No one left behind. The ride will probably take 4-6 hours, with stops. If anyone poops out, Daly City BART is at mile 17.
- The Golden Gate Bridge (leave a comment if you want us to ride across it, this would add about three miles).
- Lands End and Sutro Baths
- "Lunch" stop at Ocean Beach (at the end of Sloat, near the Zoo, and we can just eat on the bluff over the beach if we don't want to get sand in our chains).
- Lake Merced
- 6400 Mission Street, "Top of the Hill" Daly City (a shrine to marketing in the 70's and 80's)
- The backside of San Bruno mountain
- Candlestick Park
- Telephone Park (Pac Bell, AT&T, whatever they're calling it these days).
- a few bathrooms thrown in for good measure.
BART from Downtown Berkeley is 9:08, which arrives at Embarcadero at 9:32. We'll probably leave around 9:45, or once all the RSVPs have shown up.
Heavy rain will cancel, but cloudy skies may just show how tough we are :-)
I'm cross-listing this with the NorCal Bicycle Touring and Camping Meetup group.