NYC Bio Meetup Message Board › need suggestion on switching from Academia to Industry

need suggestion on switching from Academia to Industry

amy
user 13654760
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Hello dear scientists here
My name is Amy, I am a biology phd student. My research is on systematics.

After some decent amount of thoughts, I realized that I want to find an Industry job after i get my degree. BUT during my phd whatever skills I have or the project I did have barely no correlation with what pharm/clinical company do. I do have a broad range of skills from Ecology, Micro, to Systematics, but I think I am lacking some skills the Industry job need. Do you think I would have a shot in finding a job in industry?
If not, what can i do to increase my chance?

Also, I have another dilemma, There are jobs out there I think I would be happy doing. But unfortunately it does not reqire PHD, so I will be overqualified for it. Do you guys have suggestions on how to successfully apply for a job you might be overqualified for?

Thanks for reading my message, I with everyone the best of luck of finding the dream job, and lead a wonderful life!!
amy
Mathieu G.
user 121768232
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Hi Amy,

There are plenty of PhDs in the industry doing a lot of different things often times in positions that have nothing to do with their original research (I know an astrophysicist who runs a Core Lab for example).

There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to find something fun and interesting in the industry world. What are the positions you were considering?