Happy 2014, Bangkok Scientifique-ians! Hope you had a great holiday and are keeping your heads down with the current protests.
The first BkkSci for 2014 will be a Social. The theme for this month is to talk about some of the top scientific stories and discoveries in 2013. Here's a few to get us started:
• Is cloud computing the way to go, or is it leading to dark places?
• Voyager I has left our solar system - what's next?
• Antarctica's Lake Whillans has been sealed off from the world for millions of years, but in 2013 researchers bored a tunnel through the ice and found living organisms. Is this a good idea, or can we all expect impending doom?
• Doctors cured a baby of HIV, a game-changing first.
• In May scientists created stem cells from a cloned human embryo, bringing us one step closer to a human clone. Is this a good idea?
• From the US military to Richard Barrow, drones are all over the place. Fad or game-changer?
• Typhoon Haiyan was one of the biggest storms ever recorded - is this just one more bit of incontrovertible evidence of climate change?
Of course, if you have any other big ideas from 2013 that you'd like to discuss, we want to hear them!
If you weren’t there last time, BkkSci Social is just what it sounds like – a chance for members and friends to gather and enjoy an evening of food, drink and stimulating conversation. Have an idea you want to discuss or a question you want to bounce around? Raise it during dinner! A presentation you’d like to make? Bring a few props to help you along! From astronomy to archaeology, there’s nothing that’s off the table, as long as it’s science-y and, in some way or another, related to the above-mentioned theme. At the very least, it’s an opportunity to meet some new people, have some good food, and relax.