The Philadelphia Blogger Meetup Group Message Board › On Tomorrow's Meetup (Beer Week Edition!)

On Tomorrow's Meetup (Beer Week Edition!)

Karl M.
kmartino1
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Hi,

We've scheduled an impromptu Philly Blogger Meetup tomorrow at the Grey Lodge Pub in NE Philly. This being beer week, Grey Lodge Pub is hosting a number of events. Make sure to click the link. I'm planning on enjoying one of their wheat beers.

Based upon how quick this was scheduled, probably not that many will show, but that's okay since this will be a single event to start to move things forward again with the meetup group. We had some great events last year and I'm hoping this will get the ball rolling in 2009.

Blogger meetups are a great opportunity to meet people you've been reading or conversing with online, in person. And real connections - friendships and otherwise - are made.

People have asked for this meetup to be much more than that - especially after its management was handed back to me last year - and when some got the feeling that I was going to keep it running as it always has - as a series of small get togethers to enable people to connect - there was a wave of members who unsubscribed.

That froze me in my tracks to take stock of the situation. What many have asked for - presentations and speakers focused on new media creation, the creative scene, etc, is already available elsewhere. RefreshPhilly. Junto. Events at IndyHall. More at TechnicallyPhilly.com­.

Trying to come up with relevant events to match those was daunting and I came to realize it rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't believe in dividing people's attention when there is real benefit to bringing people together.

After speaking to a trusted adviser on this, it makes more sense to direct people to those events rather than try and distract from them.

Blogger meetups, at least under my management, will remain what they have been - opportunities to connect and have interesting conversations over breaking bread and drink (not necessarily alcoholic). I promise to stir the pot with subject matter before hand - as you should too. This is an important enough mission as is, and I hope you agree. I hope to expand theses gatherings across the city with your help.

Thanks, and see you online and otherwise,

Karl